[csaa-forum] Figuring the Child Symposium

Jessica Cadwallader jess.cadwallader at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:09:06 CST 2010

Figuring the Child:
Sex, Sexism, Sexuality and Sexualisation
A Forum hosted by the Somatechnics Research Centre,
Macquarie University
18th November 2010
9 am - 5.30 pm
@
Sydney Mechanics School of Arts
280 Pitt St, Sydney
Googlemaps: http://bit.ly/bgAfBP

The figure of the child remains a vexed and specifically invested
site in contemporary culture, politics, law, education and other
institutions, especially in relation to ideas of sex, gender and
sexuality. Recently in Australia, discussions about indigenous
communities, about the internet filter, about eating habits, about
appropriate media consumption, about exercise, about ‘proper’
boys’ and girls’ behaviours, and about ‘art’ have focussed on
children and childhood, often without critical consideration, because
the imag(in)ing of the child is so intensely and emotionally
invested. ‘The child’ has thus become a regular point of reference
for both sides of politics, often deployed to conservative ends. This
forum brings together speakers from a range of different backgrounds,
to discuss the role that specific knowledges about the figure of the
child, particularly about ‘proper’ and ‘improper’ forms of
gender and sexuality in childhood and adolescence, have played in
contemporary developments in law, policy, education and concepts of
family.

Our participants, whose presentation abstracts can be found below,
are: Dr Stephen Angelides, Dr Barbara Baird, Dr. Anna Hickey-Moody,
Ms Sophie Martin, Dr Dinesh Wadiwel and Dr. Dierdre Tedmanson, Ms.
Rachael Wallbanks and Mr. Patrick Quinn.

Attendance at this event is free. Lunch will be provided. However,
due to space limitations, we do require RSVPs. Please RSVP to our
Administrator Vanessa Fredericks via email
SomatechnicsAdmin at gmail.com by the 15th November 2010. For more
information, please contact the organiser, Dr. Jessica Cadwallader
via email: jess.cadwallader at gmail.com.

The Sydney Mechanics School of Arts is an accessible building with
universal access facilities. Please let us know in advance if there
are specific accessibility requirements, and we will do our best to
fulfil them.