[csaa-forum] "Bodies Abound" event during Fat Studies Conference - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

Samantha Murray smurray78 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 18:28:39 CST 2010

** APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING - PLEASE DISTRIBUTE TO INTERESTED PARTIES **

'BODIES ABOUND': Art Exhibition and Reading Night

The Fat Femme Front has joined forces with Victoria University and the Fat
Studies conference at Macquarie University to host an Art Exhibition
and Reading event on Friday September 10th.

"The Fat Femme Front has been working as a collective since late last year,
receiving a lot of positive feedback about the presence of a body positive,
fat proud group of femmes, predominantly in the queer community. We come
together as a group of self identified fat femmes to: fight against fat
phobia and discrimination, increase fat femme visibility ,increase body
positivity, discuss and challenge dominant ideas around
gender/sexuality/body image and to build a strong fat activist community."

The Fat Studies Conference is being held at Macquarie University September
10th & 11th, 2010. This two-day event will put Australasian Fat Studies into
conversation with critical fat scholarship from around the globe by
gathering together scholars from across a spectrum of disciplinary
backgrounds, as well as activists, health care professionals, performers and
artists. Conference website: http://www.somatechnics.mq.edu.au/events/

We want to take this opportunity to explore the politics of size, fat and
body diversity through readings, spoken word, visual representations, art
and memoir to give voice to fat lived experiences.

We are calling on people of diverse body sizes to submit works which explore
ideas around size, fat, and body diversity.

In the Art Department:

We will consider work using the following mediums; photography, sculpture,
film, painting, drawing, jewelry, objects and print.

In submitting work please send us the following information in no more than
200 words:

* A brief explanation about your works concepts,
* medium of your work,
* the size/dimensions of the work
* and if the work needs to be installed a particular way.

Please note the space is limited so can not take large
installation/sculpture works.

Fat Femme Front will take a 10% commission on all sales which will be used
to further our activist work.

We will accept submissions until Friday August 20th. We will inform you of
the outcome by Thursday August 26th.

Please send art submissions to fatfemmefront at gmail.com

Spoken word submissions:

There will be eight spots for readers at the spoken word evening. We are
looking for short readings of 6-8 minutes (1000-1200 words of prose). The
work can be short memoir, fiction, poetry or a personal essay.

Please email your interest in reading your work, with the following:

- your name and a short bio
- tell us if you've read your work in public before
- attach the piece you want to read on the night OR a description of what
you're going to write, along with a sample of your other work

We will accept spoken word submissions until Friday August 6th. We will
inform you of the outcome by Thursday August 12th.
Please send spoken word submissions to jenny.lee at vu.edu.au

We are also looking for volunteers to help us set up the space, hang
art, and serve drinks on the night. If you are interested in helping
out please contact Scarlett O Claire at thefatempire at gmail.com

--
Dr Samantha Murray

Lecturer in Critical & Cultural Studies
Department of Media, Music, Communication and Cultural Studies
Faculty of Arts
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY NSW 2109

Email: samantha.murray at mq.edu.au
Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 2149