[csaa-forum] REMINDER, Public Lecture: VOICE: CULTURE AND POLITICS BEYOND THE HORIZON OF NEOLIBERALISM, Nick Couldry, 17 February

Catherine Thill cthill at nd.edu.au
Mon Feb 15 15:49:33 CST 2010

[Please circulate widely through your networks. Apologies for cross-posting]

PUBLIC LECTURE INVITATION:

VOICE: CULTURE AND POLITICS BEYOND THE HORIZON OF NEOLIBERALISM
A public lecture by Prof NICK COULDRY: GOLDSMITHS, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON
THIS WEEK, WEDNESDAY, 17 FEBRUARY 2010, 6 for 6.30pm
Room 411, Building 2, UTS (Enter via Tower Building 1)

This talk will start out from the way neoliberal discourse's absolute
prioritization of market functioning over and above other political and
social values generates a crisis of voice in what we might call neoliberal
democracies, a crisis that operates along many dimensions: in the economic
sphere, in politics, and in culture. After outlining aspects of that
multiple crisis, I will explore what values are available from which a
counter-rationality (in Wendy Brown's term) to neoliberal discourse can be
developed.; in this, I will draw on various sources from Amartya Sen's
criticism of the assumptions of neoliberal economics to Axel Honneth's
theory of recognition. While drawing particularly on the dilemmas faced
within the UK's governance culture, I will reflect also on their relevance
for other countries which have adopted neoliberal discourse to a significant
degree. I will end by reflecting on the implications of my argument for
current priorities for media and cultural studies research.
Nick Couldry is Professor of Media and Communications at Goldsmiths,
University of London and Director of its Centre for the study of Global
Media and Democracy. He is the author or editor of eight books including
most recently Media Consumption and Public Engagement: Beyond the
Presumption of Attention (Palgrave 2007, new edition February 2010,
co-authors Sonia Livingstone and Tim Markham), Media Events in a Global Age
(Routledge 2009, coedited with Andreas Hepp and Friedrich Krotz) and
Listening Beyond the Echoes: Media Ethics and Agency in an Uncertain World .
(Paradigm 2006). His next book is Why Voice Matters: Culture and Politics
After Neoliberalism (Sage June 2010).
Prof Couldry's public lecture is funded by the ARC's Cultural Research
Network and hosted by the Transforming Cultures Research Centre, UTS. Please
join us for a drink before the lecture.
RSVP is required: transforming.cultures at uts.edu.au
<mailto:transforming.cultures at uts.edu.au>

All welcome. See you there.

Kind regards,
Cate

Dr Catherine Louise Thill
Associate Dean &
Lecturer, Sociology
School of Arts & Sciences
The University of Notre Dame Australia
Sydney Campus
104 Broadway (PO Box 944)
Broadway  NSW  2007
Ph: + 61 2 8204 4116
Email: cthill at nd.edu.au
Web: www.sydney.nd.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Code: 02651D
IMPORTANT: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient, you should not disclose, copy, disseminate or
otherwise use the information contained in it. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete or
destroy the document. Confidential and legal privilege are not waived or
lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you. The University of Notre Dame
Australia is not responsible for any changes made to a document other than
those made by the University. Before opening or using attachments, please
check them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited to re-supplying
any affected attachments.