[csaa-forum] Call for papers: World Science Fiction Convention Academic Programming

Andrew Milner Andrew.Milner at arts.monash.edu.au
Fri Feb 12 10:26:53 CST 2010

Call for papers: World Science Fiction Convention Academic Programming
Aussiecon 4: 68th World Science Fiction Convention
September 2nd - 6th, 2010
Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Australia

The many uses of science fiction

Why do we study science fiction (SF)? Why do we read it, write about it?
What uses do we put these readings and writings to?  As the critical
fields intersecting with science fiction grow ever broader, SF is called
on to perform all kinds of cultural and theoretical work.  It is claimed
as an ideal source for reading cultural histories of western
technoscience, of thinking through the sociological and philosophical
challenges of science studies, and as revealing of the destabilising of
humanism emerging in animal studies and the ‘posthumanities’ more
generally. What does all this work mean for critical theory in the
twenty first century, and our understanding of the place of science
fiction studies within more canonical fields of cultural enquiry?  And
what, if any are the implications for SF as a genre, marketing category,
and as a community of readers?

The theme of Aussiecon 4's Academic Program is the study of SF, broadly
framed: why and how we read it as critics, academics and fans and what
use/s we put these readings to.  We invite papers reflecting on science
fiction studies and its relation to other critical fields, including
(but not limited to) cultural studies, media studies, fan studies,
science and literature studies, ecocriticism, science communication and
animal studies.  We welcome analyses of the political implications of
race, gender, sexuality, and class on such criticism and its
intersection with questions of social democracy, ethics, and
environmental politics.   Also of interest is the impact of such work on
popular and mainstream conceptions of science fiction, and on its
potential (and future) audience.

Please send Abstracts  by May 31st 2010

Submissions and enquires should be directed to the Academic
co-conveners, Dr Helen Merrick & Professor Andrew Milner at
<academic at aussiecon4.org.au>

Submissions should include:
·	title of paper;
·	name & affiliation;
·	email address;
·	150 word abstract;
·	short biographical statement;
·	AV requirements

More information about Aussiecon 4, including membership rates can be
found at:
  http://www.aussiecon4.org.au/

--

   Professor Andrew Milner
   Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies

   Phone: (61) (3) 9905 2979
   Fax: (61) (3) 9905 5593
   Email: Andrew.Milner at arts.monash.edu.au
   Homepage: