[csaa-forum] M/C Obsolete issue live

Jason Wilson jasonw at uow.edu.au
Thu Jul 16 12:10:46 CST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I'm delighted to advise that the 'obsolete' issue of M/C, the Journal
of Media and Culture, is now live. It's available at the following link.

http://journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal

We're excited to be able to present a range of perspectives on the
issues raised by the topic of obsolescence, and hope you'll enjoy the
issue as much as we wnjoyed putting it together.

Contents as follows:

* EDITORIAL: Obsolete - Jason Anthony Wilson, Jason Jacobs

    * FEATURE: The Re-Wiring of History - Greg Shapley

    * FEATURE: Lament for a Lost Running Order? Obsolescence and
Academic Journals - John Hartley,

    * Academia 1.0: Slow Food in a Fast Food Culture? (A Reply to John
Hartley) - Kate Bowles

    * Unplanned educational obsolescence: Is the 'traditional' PhD
becoming obsolete? - Donna Lee Brien

    * Obsolescence: Uncovering Values in Technology Use - Jina Huh,
Mark S. Ackerman

    * Anywhere but the Home: the Promiscuous Afterlife of Super 8 -
Peter Thomas

    * Save the Videogame! The National Videogame Archive:
preservation, supersession and obsolescence. - James Newman

    * Onward Through the Fog: Computer Game Collection and the Play of
Obsolescence - Jason Thompson, Ken S. McAllister, Judd Ethan Ruggill

    * Digital Games Distribution: the presence of the past and the
future of obsolescence - Christopher Luke Moore

Feedback and discussion on the articles is welcome. Keep your eyes
peeled for further developments as Jason Jacobs and I continue work on
a much longer series of projects around obsolescence.

All the best
JW

Dr. Jason Wilson
Lecturer in Digital Communication
School of Social Sciences, Media and Communication
University of Wollongong
NSW, Australia

T +61 (0)2 42213088
M +61 (0)432955503