[csaa-forum] Kafka's Cages

Dimitris Vardoulakis D.Vardoulakis at uws.edu.au
Mon Jun 22 07:41:13 CST 2009

Kafka's Cages

Sydney Seminar for the Arts and Philosophy

This event will bring together a number of experts who will discuss aspects of Kafka's life and work. Speakers will include the distinguished Prof. Kiarina Kordela from the US, and the Australians Chris Fleming, John O'Connor, and Dimitris Vardoulakis, as well as the editor of Heat and Giramondo Press Ivor Indyk as a panellist.

Friday, 3 July 2009

5.30-8:30pm

Metcalfe Auditorium

State Library of NSW

Macquarie Street, Sydney

Cost: $15 / $10 (concessions)

Bookings Essential: Tel. (02) 9273 1770 or bookings at sl.nsw.gov.au

Programme

5:30 pm Finger-food and refreshments

5:50 pm Welcome: Christiane Gruber

(Cultural Attachée, German Consulate General)

5:55 pm Introduction: Prof Nancy Wright

(University of Western Sydney)

6:00pm A. Kiarina Kordela (Macalester College, St. Paul, USA)

Kafkaesque Arrogance, or, The Kabbalah of Secular Capitalism

6:30 pm Chris Fleming and John O'Carroll (University of Western Sydney and Charles Sturt University)

Delusion of Agency: Kafka, Imprisonment, and Modern Victimhood

7:00 pm Dimitris Vardoulakis (University of Western Sydney)

"The Fall is the proof of our freedom": Kafka's Hope

7:30 pm Break - Refreshments

7:45 pm Ivor Indyk (University of Western Sydney)

Panel discussion with the speakers, and Questions from the Audience

For further information on this event please see the attached flyer or visit our website:

www.sydneyseminar.org

Or contact Dimitris Vardoulakis  d.vardoulakis[at]uws.edu.au