[csaa-forum] 'On Time' Seminar UTS This Thrsday

Katrina Schlunke katrina.schlunke at uts.edu.au
Tue Apr 21 20:18:59 CST 2009

Transforming Cultures invites you to join a new Seminar Series:
'On Time'
Throughout the next few years this occasional series will bring
together people and
ideas around the broad idea of time. Of particular interest s the
question of what is
contemporary time as well as an ongoing exploration of the query Is
time an
emotion? The thinking will be exciting, the discussion excessively
friendly and
everyone is invited to participate. The usual form will be one or two
invited speakers
of 20 minutes each followed by extensive group discussion.
Occasionally prereadings
will be suggested. Come along to join the discussion.
First Time Seminar:
DATE: Thursday, April 23
TIME: 10 am - 12 pm
WHERE: UTS, Building 3, Level 2, Room 2.10
RSVP: Transforming.Cultures at uts.edu.au
Our invites speakers for this first seminar are Julia Horncastle and
Amanda Third
from Murdoch University, WA. Please find enclosed their abstracts and
brief
biographies:
Dr. Amanda Third
Terrorist Time: Terrorism, the Everyday and the Apocalyptic
Implosion of Modernity’
'Think over my philosophy, Mr – Mr Verloc… Go for the first
meridian.
You don’t know the middle classes as well as I do. Their
sensibilities are jaded.
The first meridian. Nothing better and nothing easier, I should think.'
Mr Vladimir in Joseph Conrad’s The Secret Agent
Ghassan Hage has commented that, within the Western imagination,
'terrorism'
marks 'the worst possible kind of violence.' Similarly,
counterterrorist commentator
Philip Jenkins claims that terrorism 'is perceived as a kind of
ultimate evil.' In this
paper, I am interested in understanding the process by which
terrorism gets
constructed as deadly and catastrophic - as both the epitome of evil
and the scourge
of modern (political) life. Understanding terrorism as a form of
communication, this
paper argues that terrorism 'from below' generates affect because it
fundamentally
challenges concepts of 'modern time'. I argue that modernity, as a
project of order, is
based upon two different but mutually constitutive conceptions of
time - namely,
linear time and the time of routine - both of which come under attack
in the context of
terrorism. Drawing upon the work of Jacques Derrida, Henri Lefebvre,
Zygmunt
Bauman and Michel de Certeau, I demonstrate that it is this quality
of terrorism - its
undermining of the linear and routine time of modernity - that marks
terrorism with its
political power.
Bio Amanda Third:
Dr Amanda Third is Senior Lecturer in the School of Media,
Communication and
Culture and Director of the Centre for Everyday Life at Murdoch
University. Her
research interests include: the gendering of terrorism; the media and
political
resistance; the politics of embodied identity; representation and
postcoloniality; and
the social and cultural dimensions of new media technologies such as
mobile
telephony. This paper is drawn from a recently completed manuscript
on North
American popular cultural representations of female terrorists.
Focusing on women
active in underground ‘revolutionary’ organisations in the United
States in the late
1960s and early 1970s (eg: Valerie Solanas, Society for Cutting Up
Men and Patricia
Campbell Hearst, Symbionese Liberation Army), this manuscript
discusses how
second wave feminism came to be ‘cross-wired’ with terrorism
within the popular
imagination. Dr Third is a member of the Inspire Foundation’s
Western Australian
Advisory Board; a member of the Technology and Wellbeing Roundtable;
and current
President of the Cultural Studies Association of Australasia (CSAA).
She also
frequently feels like 'time is short' and loathes the fact that 'time
is money'.
Dr. Julia Horncastle
'The Splitting of Figs: Queer Temporality and the Transformative
Self'
This discussion paper addresses ways in which we might combine some
unlikely
bedfellows (Nietzsche, poetry, and contemporary queer experience)
through the lens
of temporality. By drawing on queer existential phenomenology the
paper provides
us with a way of examining the seamless temporality of “then”
and “now”. I will
question whether the poetic and transformative oddities of queer
being actually
coalesce around what could be called a suspensive-temporal paradigm
(in the sense
of being in ‘the now’ which is a moment pour soi; neither future
nor past fixated). At
the (dis)juncture between abstract notions of our being in time and
our practical arts
of living, I suggest that ontological endeavours which examine
everyday experience,
can speak of being in terms of ‘interstitialities’ and
‘thresholds’. These are moments
of in-between-ness that exist in such places as the propinquities of
poetry and the
mundane, theory and practice, self and other, as well as the over-
arching temporal
components of a Western chronos: past, present and future.
The way that I link notions of time division, the arts of living
queerly, and moments of
in-between-ness, is to introduce them as problems for existential
phenomenology
and it is through them that I look at selfhood as transformative
practice. In my view
the latest queer work in phenomenology lends itself to unorthodox
analyses of being,
that is: being in relation to oddity, to orientation, to self-
reference or care and the
reality and appearance of life experience. What I will convey as part
of my addition to
the conversations that are already happening in queer phenomenology
is that queer
being can be understood as transformative being and one way that
I’ve come to
structure this understanding is through a knowledge of what I call
interstitiality or
interstitial sensibility.
Although my broader analysis is of being (temporally and spatially
configured) this
paper creates a discussion space around the specificity of queer,
poetic temporality.
Bio Julia Horncastle:
Dr Julia Horncastle teaches at Murdoch University, Western Australia,
in the Gender
and Cultural Studies program. She completed her PhD in April 2008,
entitled, “Queer
Being and the Sexual Interstice: A Phenomenological Approach to the
Queer
Transformative Self”. A self-styled queer-feminist- phenomenologist,
she is interested
in the everyday realities of queer being and is currently working on
a theory of queer
ethics and sensibilities.
We are looking forward to seeing you at 'On Time'.

Dr Katrina Schlunke
Higher Degrees Research Coordinator
Communications Program

Senior Lecturer