[csaa-forum] MIA Issue 130 now available

John Gunders j.gunders at uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 19 17:04:55 CST 2009

Dear colleagues

Issue No 130 of Media International Australia (MIA) is now available:
Computer Games: Co-Creation and Regulation, edited by Sal Humphreys.

>From the editorial: This special issue is enormously important because
it offers suggestive new models for how industry, community, government
and users should approach media. Sal Humphrey 's introduction and the
various papers collected in this anthology raise many questions about
the adequacy of today's regulation for the vibrant area of gaming. What
I really like about the issue is that not only do the authors provide us
with rich resources for adequately grasping, understanding and designing
appropriate regulation for gaming itself, but their analyses really go
to wider-indeed fundamental-premises of media policy and regulation.
Their ideas refresh these often-stale debates, and I hope the issue is
widely read.

Abstracts and further details are available on the website:
www.emsah.uq.edu.au/mia/ <http://www.emsah.uq.edu.au/mia/>

GENERAL ARTICLES

Future audiences for Australian stories: Industry responses in a
post-Web 2.0 world, Julia de Roeper and Susan Luckman

Balancing the digital democratic deficit? e-Government, Julie Freeman
and Brett Hutchins

'The Australian we all aspire to be': Commemorative journalism and the
death of the Crocodile Hunter, Folker Hanusch

A support withdrawn: 'Spain's 9/11' and Australian newspaper framing,
Glen Donnar

COMPUTER GAMES: CO-CREATION AND REGULATION

Computer games: Co-creation and regulation, Sal Humphreys

Discursive constructions of MMOGs and some implications for policy and
regulation, Sal Humphreys

Productive play 2.0: The logic of in-game advertising, Mark Andrejevic

Co-creative expertise: Auran Games and Fury - a case study, John Banks

On the (partially) inalienable rights of participants in virtual
communities, Nicolas Suzor

Electronic contracts: A law unto themselves? Dale Clapperton

Informing our own choices: A proposal for user-generated classification,
Jeffrey Brand and Mark Finn

Reviews edited by Susan Bye