[csaa-forum] CCR SEMINAR SERIES 2009 - Prof. Raewyn Connell - March 12

Reena Dobson R.Dobson at uws.edu.au
Tue Mar 3 08:45:28 CST 2009

Apologies for x-postings

Centre for Cultural Research

University of Western Sydney

presents

Professor Raewyn Connell (University of Sydney)

Date: Thursday, March 12

Time: 3:00pm - 4:30pm

Venue: Gallery, Female Orphan School

Building EZ, Parramatta Campus

(view map and directions
<http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/parramatta> )

Afternoon tea and cakes will be provided

RSVP: Jacqui Kingi - 9685 9600 or j.kingi at uws.edu.au
<mailto:j.kingi at uws.edu.au>

Apologies: Cameron McAuliffe - c.mcauliffe at uws.edu.au
<mailto:c.mcauliffe at uws.edu.au>

Southern Theory and Australian intellectual culture
Professor Raewyn Connell

Australia's intellectual culture is framed by the concepts, methods and
paradigms developed in the global metropole, i.e. western Europe and
north America.  We import and use these frameworks, generally assuming
their universal validity, not inquiring into the specificity of their
production in the centres of global imperialism and post-imperial power
and wealth.  The result is an intellectual culture that, following the
Beninese philosopher Paulin Hountondji, can be called "extraverted".
This phenomenon is not new: in literature it was famously called "the
cultural cringe", fifty years ago, by the literary critic A.A.Phillips.
I consider that it has a powerful distorting effect on the understanding
of Australian life, in the social sciences and humanities, and I would
like to discuss this perception with other people involved in the social
sciences and humanities.  If the point resonates, we might go on to
discuss other directions for intellectual culture to take; especially
the possibilities opened up by engagement with the intellectuals of
other parts of the world periphery, such as the Muslim world,
sub-saharan Africa, south Asia and Latin America.  I have explored some
of these possibilities in my book "Southern Theory" (Allen & Unwin
Australia 2007), and people interested in the ideas can find more
connections through the website www.southernperspectives.net

Raewyn Connell is University Professor in the Faculty of Education and
Social Work at the University of Sydney. Her work deals critically with
culture, media and political hegemony and she is internationally
recognised for her significant research in the field of Gender Studies,
particularly concerning hegemonic masculinity. She is author, co-author
or editor of over twenty books, including Masculinities, Ruling Class
Ruling Culture, Making the Difference, Gender and Power, Sustaining Safe
Sex, Schools and Social Justice, The Men and the Boys, Gender and her
most recent, Southern Theory. A contributor to research journals in
sociology, education, political science, gender studies and related
fields, Raewyn Connell has also been a long-term participant in the
labour and peace movements. Her current research concerns
neo-liberalism, global power holders, and the changing role of
intellectuals.

.