[csaa-forum] Conference - Evolution - the Experience: Feb 09

Paul Magee paul.magee at canberra.edu.au
Fri Oct 10 07:24:16 CST 2008

 Forwarded on behalf of Jeanette Hoorn:

Dear Colleague,

Evolution - the Experience
Call for Papers

2009 marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin and the
150th anniversary of the publication of his revolutionary book, The Origin
of Species. Melbourne, Australia will be the venue for a yearlong festival
(Evolution ­ the Festival) that will commence in the week of 8-13 February
2009 (Darwin was born February 12, 1809). The centrepiece of the festival
will be an elite international conference to be held at the Melbourne
Convention and Exhibition Centre. This conference will explore the past,
present and future impact of Darwinism on science and society.  Because of
the pervasiveness of Darwin¹s impact the conference program will have great
breadth and depth (www.evolution09.com.au/program.php
<http://www.evolution09.com.au/program.php> ).

This will be an exciting conference to attend. Plenary sessions, to be held
twice daily, will provide delegates with a stimulating overview of the
diversity of applications of Darwinism ­ everything from genomics to
palaeontology and psychology. Symposia will allow delegates to drill down
into the latest research in their specific areas of interest. We are
constantly updating our web site with a list of outstanding Australian and
international speakers.  We are particular proud to showcase some of
Australia¹s best talent.  The list of Australian public speakers and
symposia organisers already committed to the meeting is impressive. These
include Prof. Tim Flannery (Macquarie Uni), Prof Jenny Graves (ANU), Prof
Malcolm Walter (UNSW), Prof Ary Hoffman (UMelb), Prof Jonathon Foster (UWA),
Prof Colin Groves (ANU), Dr Michael Kearney (U Melb), Prof Pauline Ladiges
(U Melb) and many others.  The conference will be surrounded by a massive
program of public events that will include a dinner-entertainment
spectacular at the Melbourne Museum, celebrating Darwin¹s birthday (February
12, 2009). Far more than a conference, this will be Evolution ­ the
Experience.

Evolution ­ the Experience is clearly one off event that does not fall under
the organisation umbrella of any one society, association or educational
institute.

If you would like to submit an abstract for Evolution ­ the Experience
conference, please note that the abstract submission deadline is now October
17th, 2008. For instructions on how to submit an abstract, please refer to
http://www.evolution09.com.au/callForPapers.php
<http://www.evolution09.com.au/callForPapers.php> .

Should you have any queries, please don¹t hesitate to contact me on
telephone +61 3 9417 1350, for fax +61 3 8610 2170 or email
info at evolution09.com.au <mailto:info at evolution09.com.au>

Yours sincerely,
Kim Stevenson
Conference Manager