[csaa-forum] THIS THURSDAY UTS: violence and the image

Katrina Schlunke Katrina.Schlunke at uts.edu.au
Tue Aug 19 19:22:33 CST 2008

All very welcome - light refreshments provided.

> articul8ate
>

> Semester 2 Session 2:
>

> Violence and the Image
>
> Date:                    Thursday 21st August 2008
>
> Time:                   4-6 pm
>
> Location:             Training Room, Level 6, Building 1
>

> Seeing Things: Affect and Image
>
> How might we speak of images of torture, and how might we regard
> the pain of others in the age of digital media? Using the examples
> of a short film by Alejandra Canales which recounts the experience
> of torture,  and the Abu Ghraib photographs, this paper examines
> the function of the image and its relationship to epistemology. How
> do we know what we see? And how might we rethink the orthodox
> function of the image in the age of digital technology? In
> attempting to answer these questions I argue that the production of
> virtual experience is a capacity of the human body, and that image
> making, like all genres of communication, is a practice in virtual
> community.
>

> Dr Maria Angel belongs to the the School of Communication Arts at
> UWS and is a member of the Writing and Society Research Group.
> Current research interests include the transformation of literary
> genres in new media contexts, and memory and corporeality
>

> Settlement and the ideology of visual representation in Australia
> in the nineteenth century
>
> Throughout the twentieth century property ownership has been
> central to the attainment of patriarchal masculinity in Australia.
> It has been invested with notions of self-sufficiency and autonomy
> and has been a key element in attaining other signs and symbols
> (rights and privileges) of patriarchal masculinity, including a
> wife and family. This emphasis on property ownership was an
> invention of the English Enlightenment of the seventeenth century
> and arrived in Australia in the late eighteenth century courtesy of
> liberal administrators such as Arthur Phillip and convicts such as
> the Scottish radicals transported in 1793 by the Pitt Government
> for their attempt to establish a democratically elected convention.
> The celebration of property ownership as a symbol of patriarchal
> masculinity has been performed again and again throughout the
> twentieth century history of Australian popular culture (The
> Castle, They’re a Weird Mob) and has formed a basis for the history
> of development in both rural and urban Australia. This paper will
> examine the construction of this ideal in the early nineteenth
> century through an analysis of a range of visual images. It will
> argue that the energy invested in creating this ideal elided a
> contested and violent history of settlement dominated by
> concentrations of land and capital.
>

> Jacquie Kasunic is a Lecture in the Faculty of Design, Architecture
> and Visual Communication at UTS. She is currently completing her
> PhD which is based on an extended ethnographic study of small
> family farmers in south west Queensland.

> [...]

Dr Katrina Schlunke
Research Coordinator,
Communications Program
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Editor Cultural Studies Review
http://www.csreview.unimelb.edu.au/

University of Technology Sydney
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
Australia
Tel: +61 (0)2 9514 2294

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If

Think. Green. Do.