[csaa-forum] ERA rankings

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Fri Jul 11 21:35:26 CST 2008

hi Greg

To be clear: (as if it matters) I do not wish to undermine the hard
work and good intentions of those engaged in responding to the ERA
with the aim of revising the current provisional journal rankings.

However, and as patronising as this may sound, I do question the
purpose of such efforts. Whether the majority of those efforts are
even registered in the final submission by universities is doubtful
due to procedural reasons. Whatever the final outcomes, the results
are most likely the same: a ranking system of journals will prevail.
And that does not fare well for research and work conditions in the
humanities. Irrespective of whether some journals get bumped up and
others knocked down, the most likely effects will include: 1)
increases in teaching/admin loads for those colleagues not publishing
in the top ranking journals, and 2) possible closure of journals.
The most likely journals affected will be open content, online
journals, which I do not see as having much chance of moving up the
ranks.  So goodbye borderlands, scan, rouge, transformations,
fibreculture, m/c , etc.  Maybe other independent journals like
Cultural Studies Review, Meanjin, Overland, etc also end up in the
dustbin. That's not especially encouraging for innovative forms of
publishing and intellectual practice.  But it does offer continued
protection and subsidisation to established commercial publishers and
thought that, I guess, holds some fear of change in the world.

Further: I was never suggesting people stop publishing, and doing so
in whatever journals they like. That wouldn't be a very pleasant
thing to do. And it is not what I meant by refusal. Fortunately
Australia does not yet have a publishing and tenure system like the
US, where intellectual timidity, political conservatism and scholarly
blandness is built in to the instrument of tenure. If you don't
publish in those dear A ranking journals, you don't get your tenure
(at least in the mid-top ranking universities). The ERA is a step in
that direction.

And yes, the RAE was costly, highly inefficient, a bureaucratic pain
for many, etc.  It also produced an interesting patchwork of research
excellence across the higher ed sector.  And the more powerful unis
weren't always very happy with that.  I can't see the ERA, however,
unsettling the ambitions of the G8 unis in Australia.

You are right Greg, at the formal level there is no other way of
having input in the procedure of review. But there are informal
options that comprise a strategy of refusal:

- with its constituency in mind, CHASS can refuse participating in
the ERA and walk out of negotiations. Here, there might be something
to learn from the negotiating strategies of so-called 'rogue-states'

- tenured/continuing academics can withhold reporting their annual
publications

- no one submits an ARC grant application in 2009 (and since the vast
majority get rejected anyway, why do such large numbers persist with
this subtraction of time from life?)

- people continue to explore and produce alternative forms of open
publishing

- the ARC website/contacts could be inundated with email noise

- universities could decide they were going to pay no attention to
the ERA

- academics with international interests can keep in mind that
national rankings of journals within the ERA in enough instances
won't match up with  international developments in their fields

None of this is of course enforceable and most probably find it
undesireable.  I'm not suggesting waiting about for some starry-eyed
revolution that will never come, Greg.  But to participate in the
current mechanisms of response to the ERA is basically to legitimate
the imposition of a journal ranking system and its consequences.
There will be no 'best result' with such a disaster.

Ned