[csaa-forum] ERA rankings

Ned Rossiter ned at nedrossiter.org
Tue Jul 8 16:33:20 CST 2008

after an exchange off-list, I've decided to qualify my earlier posting.

I appreciate the strategic need and rationale for nationally
published, independent journals like MIA and also Arena, Meanjin,
Overland, Fibreculture Journal, etc to be playing the ERA game.  And
in that sense, the case and success of MIA is one I would support.  I
didn't mean to dispute the quality or role of MIA (it is one of the
few journals I have subscribed to, and intend to renew once I settle
into wage labour again). My post was blunt to the point of reducing
the complications/complexities that operate within the research
funding/award system. Part of my intention was to hint at the
(national/local) politics/vested interests that have obviously shaped
the ranking outcomes.  The farce of impartiality is something that I
find very difficult to take seriously in such exercises (many of
which, it has to be said, define institutional life in academia), and
because self-interest can never be declared as such, the academic
community is supposed to accept a system that is, I would still
maintain, inherently flawed.  For that reason I would reject it.

I'm also aware that it's easier to adopt such a position from outside
Australia (though I remain institutionally connected/affiliated in
Australia and therefore subject to its funding/research system).
Nonetheless, I do not foresee the outcomes of the ERA determining
where I (or others) publish, despite the documented funding/
institutional ramifications.

An alternative position: given the rule of the bell curve why not
insist that all nationally/locally/independent published journals are
assigned A* (MIA, Meanjin, Arena, FCJ, etc), journals that
predominantly feature Australian academics get an A-B, and all T&F,
Sage, etc journals get a C.  T&F journals like Continuum fall into C,
but because they publish the work of many Australian academics they
might as well get an A or B.

A proposal of this kind is as rational as any other, it supports
local publishing industries, and it keeps many people happy. And it
would ensure that the ERA as a system of self-interest and silly bell
curves remains intact (which it no doubt will anyway).

Ned