[csaa-forum] ERA rankings

Jon Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Tue Jul 8 12:44:42 CST 2008

  Thanks for this, Greg; and, Andrew,thanks for your incisive comments on the effects of treating the Humanities in the same way as the Sciences.  I have to say that, working in a university of technology, I am constantly confronted by the ill consequences of this mistake.  And, I should add, one of these consequences is the misapprehension that Humanities journals can be ranked in a simple heirarchic way as, it would seem, Science journals can be ranked.  This fallacy appears to be at the root of the ranking heirarchy with which the ERA exercise has confronted us.
   What I think, though, is most iniquitous is something that Greg has already raised.  That is, that, regardless of the extent to which we are able to claim journals succeed in fulfilling the criteria for, say, an A categoristion, a large number of journals indeed 50%, will have to be placed in the C category because of the use of the bell curve.
   Thank you, Greg, for providing us with the criteria for the three categories used for the European exercise.  When I identified the ERA B category as dodgy I think that I was thinking of the consequence of the invention of the A* category.  The structural consequence of this is to devalue the B and C categories.  This is especially so when the criteria are so clearly constructed to reflect claims about quality.  This is particularly obvious when we compare the criteria for the ERA exercise against the criteria for the European exercise.  I am, here, really only repeating Greg's point, but, I believe, its importance is such that it bears repetition.  This is that, whereas the European criteria make explicit reference to their C category not being a residual category, the ERA exercise, by implication, absolutely does make C residual.  We are simply told that C journals are ones that don't qualify for the other categories.  Now, how can this claim be made when, at the same time, we are told that 50% of all journals must be categorised as C? In other words, the more successful people are in moving their journals from B or C to A* or A, the more journals will have to be moved down from those categories into B and C.
    The interesting thing about the European ranking from this point of view is that, unlike the ERA ranking system,  it becomes a form of differentiation rather than an exercise in quality per se.  Already, I have received emails from people who are very happy that their journals have been categrorised as A* or A.  I have also received emails from people who are unhappy that their journals have been categorised as B or C.  Clearly, the assumption that the ERA ranking is about quality and that A* or A is what a journal needs to be respected is already becoming entrenched.
cheers,
Jon