[csaa-forum] ERA rankings

Jon Stratton J.Stratton at curtin.edu.au
Sun Jul 6 12:00:54 CST 2008

  Hi Everybody,
      If you haven't already, may I please suggest that you look at the journal rankings that are planned to be used for the federal government's Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) exercise.  The list of journals and the rankings can be found at:  http://www.arc.gov.au/xls/ERA_Journal_Ranking_Flatfile.xls <https://email.curtin.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.arc.gov.au/xls/ERA_Journal_Ranking_Flatfile.xls>  .  There are four categories, A*, A, B. C.  C is therefore the lowest ranking.  You might particularly want to note that Continuum, which is the only international cultural studies journal based in Australia, and is the CSAA-linked journal, has a B ranking.  This places it well down in importance and means that articles published in it will not be regarded by the ERA exercise as being of as much worth as compared to if the journal are ranked at A* or A.
       Journal of Intercultural Studies is also ranked as a B, as are Social Identities, and Borderlands.  Third Text is a C as is New Formations.  As a generalisation, it seems to me that journals based in the US or Britain, and journals which tend towards publishing less innovative and less controversial (and this includes political) articles, tend to be given the higher rankings.
     At present submissions are being taken for additions to the journal list and for changes in ranking.  All submissions have to be sent through universities.  If you have not been contacted by the R&D area of your university may I suggest that you contact them, find out how to register a submission in your university and do so.  The closing date for submissions is towards the end of July.
thanks for your time,
Jon