[csaa-forum] query: academic freedom?

Glen Fuller G.Fuller at uws.edu.au
Thu May 22 18:18:49 CST 2008

"the mortgage-bound among us need not fear to hold an unpopular stance"

a mortgage!! Is this only an issue for non-casuals in the academic workforce (split by the current division of labour)?

Kylie's email got me wondering about the quasi-celebrity mechanisms of academia. My understanding is that 'impact' is measured according to a metric of media coverage, or something like that. Is this furore similar to other moral panics about 'exposure' and 'public/private' (reconfigured around university vs personal views) of celebrities? If universities doesn't want theirs name in the media, maybe academics should go on a kind of strike where they don't mention the institution. Like a 'sick day' strike...

ciao,
glen.