[csaa-forum] cone of silence

Felicity Colman fcolman at unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 21 16:49:01 CST 2008

Dear Steven, Vincent, Andrew, Simon,and people of the list,

Thank you for your swift responses and comments.

I've asked someone at the NTEU to comment on the case for the list, as I don't know the details.

I do know the NTEU has stepped up to assist with other current issues at Melbourne U - such as workload problems because of the Melbourne Model implementation, and in this they have been a source of great support.

My questions were not at all intended to be disingenuous. Aside from lamenting that we don't have double-decker trains in Melbs as in the beautiful harbor city (and everyone knows VIC's public transport system woes), I wanted to see if the larger community was aware of this incident, outside of VIC., and if there are others like it, eg, Vincent's reference to the roads lobby example of LA., censorship of other academics when they have dared to speak in public, what happened to the academic in question. It was a front page news story, running over to page 2 with a photograph of the 'punished' academic... and hard to say what position the Age was taking. Men on the front page of The Age are generally assorted footballers and politicians.

In relation to the csaa, I'm interested to hear your collective knowledge concerning university governance models, and interested in the censorship aspects of being/ performing as an academic in public. How those two issues impact on knowledge transfer across all disciplines. Sure, university's have policies concerning cultural governance that have been drafted with consideration for contemporary law.  We need support from the government, and it needs our product. We must be careful all the time about our modes of address. And in Australia it is not a situation as in many countries around the world, where the factor of incarceration, or worse, is a consequence of ill-chosen words - cf.,http://scholarsatrisk.nyu.edu/Beta/

Q: How then to speak through cultural governance?

thanks, felicity.