[csaa-forum] query: academic freedom?

Andrew Murphie andrew.murphie at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:32:19 CST 2008

I guess my main response is fairly simple and one I have to a lot of events
these days.
Where is the Union?

It seems almost totally invisible, and weaker than it has ever been, while
working conditions become worse and worse, to the point it's beyond
ridiculous.
regards, Andrew

2008/5/21 Felicity Colman <fcolman at unimelb.edu.au>:

>  Hello list,
>
> What is the opinion/position of other academics on the recent events at the
> University of Melbourne, and the related public debate on academic freedom?
> (articles pasted below)
>
> What is the role of the academic in Australian society today?
>
> Are there historical precedents in Australia of this sort that might
> provide some insight?
>
> thank you.
>
> Letters (in the opinions section) in Age newspaper May 21, 2008 begin with
> this:
>
> 'WHEN academic freedom — a fundamental principle of democracy — is
> compromised by a Labor government, it is time for all thinking Australians
> to be afraid ("Melb Uni demotes transport dissident", The Age, 20/5). I am
> no longer surprised by the arrogance and haughtiness of this Brumby
> Government, but I am stunned and outraged at the steps taken by a craven
> Melbourne University administration in demoting outspoken public transport
> advocate Paul Mees [...].'
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/letters/this-craven-move-should-frighten-us/2008/05/20/1211182799831.html
>
> as a response to this item:
>
> 'MELBOURNE University has demoted one of its most outspoken academics after
> a complaint against him by the State Government. [ ...]
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/melbourne-uni-demotes-transport-dissident/2008/05/19/1211182704265.html
>

> and further discussed here:
>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/uni-accused-of-hatchet-job-on-lecturer/2008/05/20/1211182801445.html
>

> http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/uni-damaged-over-lecturers-demotion/2008/05/20/1211182764879.html
>

> Dr Felicity Colman
> Lecturer, Screen Studies
> Honours Coordinator, Cinema Program
> School of Culture & Communication
> http://www.culture-communication.unimelb.edu.au
> The University of Melbourne  Victoria  3010 Australia Tel:
> 61-3-83445565\tFax: 61-3-8344 5563
> fcolman at unimelb.edu.au

"Take me to the operator, I want to ask some questions" - Barbara
Morgenstern

"Of course it is always possible to work oneself into a state of complete
contentment with an ultimate irrationality" - Alfred North Whitehead

"I thought I had reached port; but I seemed to be cast back again into the
open sea" (Deleuze and Guattari, after Leibniz)

Andrew Murphie - Associate Professor
School of English, Media and Performing Arts, University of New South Wales,
Sydney, Australia, 2052
web:
http://andrew.murphie.googlepages.com/
http://adventuresinjutland.wordpress.com/