[csaa-forum] query: academic freedom?

Felicity Colman fcolman at unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 21 14:15:27 CST 2008

Hello list,

What is the opinion/position of other academics on the recent events at the University of Melbourne, and the related public debate on academic freedom? (articles pasted below)

What is the role of the academic in Australian society today?

Are there historical precedents in Australia of this sort that might provide some insight?

thank you.

Letters (in the opinions section) in Age newspaper May 21, 2008 begin with this:

'WHEN academic freedom — a fundamental principle of democracy — is compromised by a Labor government, it is time for all thinking Australians to be afraid ("Melb Uni demotes transport dissident", The Age, 20/5). I am no longer surprised by the arrogance and haughtiness of this Brumby Government, but I am stunned and outraged at the steps taken by a craven Melbourne University administration in demoting outspoken public transport advocate Paul Mees [...].'
http://www.theage.com.au/news/letters/this-craven-move-should-frighten-us/2008/05/20/1211182799831.html

as a response to this item:

'MELBOURNE University has demoted one of its most outspoken academics after a complaint against him by the State Government. [ ...]
http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/melbourne-uni-demotes-transport-dissident/2008/05/19/1211182704265.html

and further discussed here:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/uni-accused-of-hatchet-job-on-lecturer/2008/05/20/1211182801445.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/uni-damaged-over-lecturers-demotion/2008/05/20/1211182764879.html

Dr Felicity Colman
Lecturer, Screen Studies
Honours Coordinator, Cinema Program
School of Culture & Communication
http://www.culture-communication.unimelb.edu.au
The University of Melbourne  Victoria  3010 Australia Tel: 61-3-83445565\tFax: 61-3-8344 5563
fcolman at unimelb.edu.au