[csaa-forum] Secretary position - readvertised with bursary for research assistant to help

Paul.Magee Paul.Magee at canberra.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 14:40:55 CST 2008

Dear CSAA members,

We are still seeking to fill the position of Secretary of the CSAA, as set forth below. Let me underline two things, that may make it more attractive:

1) the time demands listed in previous advertisements are less onerous than they sound, because the CSAA employs a research assistant each year to help with the yearly changes to the membership database. With that in mind, one should expect to commit an hour or so a week in the first 2-3 months of the year, less than that afterwards. Apologies for making it sound more scary than it is.

2) being the secretary of an international scholarly association looks very good on one’s CV. Anyone looking for a job, or seeking promotion, will find the position advantageous in this regard. It is also a very good way to meet other Cultural Studies scholars and make contacts with people at all different levels in the sector.

Let me also stress that postgraduates and scholars without institutional positions are most welcome to apply.

Secretary

If you are interested in this position, please send a short statement (up to 250 words) to paul.magee at canberra.edu.au  describing: i) your current position / enrolment / relation to the university, ii) your research interests, and iii) where you would like to see the Cultural Studies community heading.

Expressions of interest need to be received by Friday 2nd of May 2008.

This is one of the key positions on the CSAA executive and it involves considerable say in the running of the association, and the setting of its
policy agendas. The position does involve some time demands particularly in the first 2-3 months of the year (an hour or so a week), much less so during
the other months. The main duties concern maintaining the database of CSAA members, taking minutes at executive meetings (one AGM and 2-3
teleconferences per year) and liaising with the publishers of Continuum, our affiliated journal. The outgoing secretary, Belinda Morrissey, will help the
new office-holder to settle into the position. The bulk of this year’s work has already been done.

For further info on executive activities and current membership, please see
http://www.csaa.asn.au/about/executive.php

Feel free to contact me to discuss further

Paul Magee
President, Cultural Studies Association of Australasia
Senior Lecturer in Creative Reading
Faculty of Design and Creative Practice
University of Canberra
ACT 2603