[csaa-forum] Jalal Toufic screening

Dimitris Vardoulakis dimitris.vardoulakis at arts.monash.edu.au
Tue Mar 4 10:00:33 CST 2008

Jalal Toufic will be screening some of his experimental films on
*Wednesday 12 March 5 -7 pm, at Federation Hall, Victorian College of
the Arts, 234 St Kilda Rd* (see:
http://www.vca.unimelb.edu.au/cfiartists/#cs_2837)

The screening will be followed by a conversation between Jalal Toufic
and Deane Williams.
Everybody welcome!

The films to be screened are:

*/Saving Face/**,* video, 8 minutes, 2003.
Were all the candidates’ faces posted on the walls of Lebanon during the
parliamentary campaign of 2000 waiting for the results of the elections?
No. As faces, they were waiting to be saved. Far better than any
surgical face-lift or digital retouching, it was the physical removal of
part of the poster of the face of one candidate so that the face of
another candidate would partially appear under it; as well as the
accretions of posters and photographs over each other that produced the
most effective face-lift, and that proved a successful face-saver for
all concerned. We have in these resultant recombinant posters one of the
sites where Lebanese culture in specific, and Arabic culture in general,
mired in an organic view of the body, in an organic body, exposes itself
to inorganic bodies.

*/Mother and Son; or, That Obscure Object of Desire (Scenes from an
Anamorphic Double Feature)/*, video, 41 minutes, 2006.
My experience of collaborating in an untimely manner with Gus Van Sant
was not a happy one. Had he heeded my suggestions, he would not have
tried to do a remake of Hitchcock’s /Psycho/ (1960) in which he
reproduced each frame of the original largely in the manner of
Hitchcock, but would instead have done a /Psycho/ in the manner of
Sokurov, so that the resultant film would have been: /Psycho/, School of
Sokurov (as /The Betrothal/, circa 1640-50, is by the School of
Rembrandt). Such a programmatic film would have proved all the more
appropriate when Sokurov went on to do a seemingly programmatic
cinematic work, /Russian Arc/ (2002), a 96-minute film videotaped in one
continuous shot. Since Van Sant did not heed my suggestions for his
remake of /Psycho /(1998), I did /Mother and Son; or, That Obscure
Object of Desire (Scenes from an Anamorphic Double Feature)/, 2006, in
lieu of the failed untimely collaboration.

*/The Sleep of Reason: This Blood Spilled in My Veins/*, video, 32
minutes, 2002.
The organic dying of a (resurrectable) human is as nothing compared to
that of an animal, exemplarily of a bull in a corrida; the only
phenomenon that equals in intensity the death of a bull in a corrida or
of a cow in a slaughterhouse is the resurrection of a human, Lazarus
coming out from the grave. The living woman in T. S. Eliot’s /The Love
Song of J. Alfred Prufrock/ is found settling her pillow to sleep when
she encounters the undead. Why are you settling the pillow, why are you
so sleepy? What disclosure are you thus trying to elude? “Tell you all,”
Lazarus says in Eliot’s poem, and would that “all” not also include
himself? Did Lazarus come back to tell himself about death? And did he
find himself sleeping then?

--

Dimitris Vardoulakis
The Centre for Ideas