[csaa-forum] The Space Between: Languages, Translations and Cultures.

Vera Mackie vmackie at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Feb 21 14:37:37 CST 2008

Call for papers
PORTAL Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies

Special Issue: The Space Between: Languages, Translations and Cultures.

We seek expressions of interest for a special journal issue focusing on the
Spaces Between Languages. We seek articles that explore how the space
between languages is experienced through translation and interpretation,
language learning and teaching, contact situations, code-switching,
bilingualism, and in literary and cultural production. We are also
interested in addressing these issues from the Spaces Between Disciplines,
which might include the spaces between linguistics, language and translation
studies, language pedagogy, cultural studies and postcolonial studies.
Possible approaches might refer to Homi Bhabha¹s notion of the Œthird
space¹, or Mary Louise Pratt¹s notion of Œtransculturation¹.

If you are interested in contributing to this special issue on ŒThe Space
Between: Languages, Translations and Cultures¹, please send an abstract (500
words) and a brief (one page) curriculum vitae to Emi Otsuji
<emi.otsuji at uts.edu.au> by 31 March 2008. Contributors who have been
notified of acceptance of abstracts will be asked to submit complete papers
by 31 July 2008. Papers should be up to 6,000 words in length (including
notes, references, tables or additional material) and should follow the
PORTAL style guide http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/ojs/index.php/portal and be
submitted directly into PORTAL via
http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/ojs/index.php/portal/about/submissions#onlineSu
bmissions

All submissions will be subjected to double-blind peer review.

Special Issue Editors:
Vera Mackie, University of Melbourne <vmackie at unimelb.edu.au>
Ikuko Nakane, University of Melbourne <inakane at unimelb.edu.au>
Emi Otsuji, University of Technology: Sydney <emi.otsuji at uts.edu.au>

About PORTAL Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies
Portal has built into its editorial protocols a commitment to facilitating
dialogue between international studies practitioners working anywhere in the
world, and not simply or exclusively in the ŒNorth,¹ Œthe West¹ or the
ŒFirst World.¹ The journal¹s commitment to fashioning a genuinely
Œinternational' studies rubric is also reflected in our willingness to
publish critical and creative work in English as well as in a number of
other languages: Bahasa Indonesia, Chinese, Croatian, French, German,
Italian, Japanese, Serbian, and Spanish.

Portal provides open access to all of it content on the principle that
making research freely available to the public supports a greater global
exchange of knowledge. If you are interested in submitting a paper please
read the Author¹s guidelines and information about the submission process at
Portal¹s homepage, http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/ojs/index.php/portal.

------ End of Forwarded Message