[csaa-forum] M/C "citizen - CFP Deadline extended to 20th February.

Jason Wilson jason_a_wilson at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 29 10:41:30 CST 2008

Hi all,

Please see below for our call for papers for M/C's special "citizen"

edition, deadline now extended to 20th February.

Best

Jason Wilson

                          M/C - Media and Culture

                     http://www.media-culture.org.au/

           is calling for contributors to the 'citizen' issue of

                                M/C Journal

                   http://journal.media-culture.org.au/

M/C Journal is looking for new contributors. M/C is a crossover journal

between the popular and the academic, and a blind- and peer-reviewed

journal. In 2008, M/C Journal celebrates its tenth anniversary.

To see what M/C Journal is all about, check out our Website, which contains

all the issues released so far, at <http://journal.media-culture.org.au/>.

To find out how and in what format to contribute your work, visit

<http://journal.media-culture.org.au/journal/submission.php>.

                        Call for Papers: 'citizen'

                 Edited by Jason Wilson and Barry Saunders

Citizen is a word we hear more frequently all the time, but it's also one

whose meaning has never seemed less clear. "Citizen journalists" and "e-

citizenship" initiatives are everywhere, but so are signs of crisis in

democratic institutions and processes.

The online tools used to promote new forms of active citizenship are

products of an era where the traditional focus of citizenship - the nation

- seems far less powerful and important than ever in the face of global

flows of capital, communication and culture. The exhortations to pursue new

forms of political engagement - like public affairs blogging and citizen

journalism - can only be read alongside the mounting evidence of a

widespread disengagement from politics. It's not clear whether or how

democratic institutions can (or ought to) adapt themselves to the changing

modes of participation. And it's also unclear whether the online spaces

given over to political debate do anything more than further polarize our

conversations. But can institutions and an increasingly diverse online

public sphere change and adapt to one another to renew democratic

participation?

For this edition of M/C Journal, we're looking for pieces that weigh up the

impact of new forms of political participation. We'd especially like to

encourage articles that reflect on concrete attempts to increase

participation in the political process, and to promote citizenship. Whether

you'd like to reflect on an initiative you've participated in, or link

theory with interesting examples of media practice and activism, we'd like

to feature your contribution.

Submit papers of 3,000 words in length to the editors at

citizen at journal.media-culture.org.au.

Article deadline:     20TH FEBRUARY

Issue release date:   12 March 2008

M/C Journal was founded (as "M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture") in 1998

as a place of public intellectualism analysing and critiquing the meeting

of media and culture. Contributors are directed to past issues of M/C

Journal for examples of style and content, and to the submissions page for

comprehensive article submission guidelines. M/C Journal articles are blind

peer-reviewed.

Further M/C Journal issues scheduled for 2008 and 2009:

'citizen': article deadline 18 January 2008, release date 20TH FEBRUARY 2008

'equal':   article deadline  7 March 2008,   release date  7 May 2008

'able':    article deadline  2 May 2008,     release date  2 July 2008

'publish': article deadline 27 June 2008,    release date 27 August 2008

'country': article deadline 22 August 2008,  release date 22 October 2008

'recover': article deadline 10 October 2008, release date 10 December 2008

'still':   article deadline 16 January 2009, release date 11 March 2009

M/C - Media and Culture is located at <http://www.media-culture.org.au/>.

M/C Journal is online at <http://journal.media-culture.org.au/>.

All past issues of M/C Journal on various topics are available there.

Dr. Jason Wilson

Research Associate, Creative Industries Faculty at QUT.

Editor, youdecide2007.

Tel +61 07 31380154

Mob +61 0423913297

Email j5.wilson at qut.edu.au