[csaa-forum] Comparative Journalism Studies conference: Second Call for Papers

Libby Lester Libby.Lester at utas.edu.au
Thu Jan 17 14:05:43 CST 2008

CALL FOR PAPERS

Comparative Journalism Studies: Approaches, Methods and Paradigms
June 25-27, 2008
University of Tasmania
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia

http://www.utas.edu.au/ejel/journalismstudies/

KEYNOTE SPEAKER:

Michael Bromley
Professor of Journalism and Acting Head, School of Journalism and
Communication, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia

What is journalism studies? The question - asked less than a decade
ago in the hope it would " heal journalism's wounds and facilitate
its revitalization" (Journalism 2000) - still resonates in the field
of journalism studies. The wounds might not be healed, but the rapid
growth of the community of journalism scholars, the number of
international conferences, and the emergence of specialized journals
certify that we are witnessing more than a simple revitalization of
fragmented lines of inquiry. Multidisciplinary by nature, and
globally oriented, the new academic discipline attracts researchers
who increasingly define their interests as an investigation of
journalism across different cultures, nation-states and communication
environments.

We need to now ask, what is comparative journalism studies? What is
the object of study? What do we compare when we compare media
coverage of an issue across national boundaries? What is journalism
in a global context? Is it an institution, a social act, a political
phenomenon or an imaginative construction (Carey 2000)? What about
the identity, mission and direction of comparative journalism
studies? What approaches, methods and paradigms can be used to name
and explain journalism phenomena in comparative contexts?

Aiming to develop a critical dialogue on the object, nature and mode
of inquiry in comparative journalism studies, and to gain insight
into this emerging field, the University of Tasmania, supported by
the Journalism Studies Division of the International Communication
Association, invites scholars to the International Conference
"Comparative Journalism Studies: Approaches, Methods and Paradigms",
25-27 June 2008, to be held at the University of Tasmania, Hobart,
Tasmania, Australia.

This conference aims to provide an overview of the different
frameworks helpful in explaining journalism across media forms,
national and cultural contexts, and historical periods. We welcome
papers that use case studies to address theoretical and
methodological issues in the study of journalism in comparative
contexts, and focus on questions such as (but not limited to):

o	The diversification of journalism
o	The emergence of global journalism
o	Journalism cultures
o	Journalism and democracy
o	Journalism and public discourse
o	Journalism and PR
o	Journalism and symbolic power
o	Journalism and new technologies
o	Journalism and pleasure

Papers are expected to be conceptually relevant to the comparison of
cultural roots, historical and political contexts, material and
economic conditions, institutional settings, and/or practices of
journalism.

Abstracts should be no more than 350 words, and accompanied by a bio
of up to 100 words.

Abstract submission deadline: 15 February, 2008

Notification of acceptance by: 15 March, 2008

Refereed papers: for those wishing to participate in a peer-review
process, full papers must be submitted by 1 April, 2008

For further information
Dr Verica Rupar and Dr Libby Lester
School of English, Journalism and European Languages
University of Tasmania
Private Bag 82
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia
Phone:  61 3 6226 2347
Fax:  61 3 6226 7631

Email:  journalismstudies at utas.edu.au

--

Dr Libby Lester
Acting Head, School of English, Journalism and European Languages

University of Tasmania
Private Bag 82
Hobart TAS 7001
AUSTRALIA