[csaa-forum] politics of disability Aust/NZ cfp: July 08, ANZCA, Wellington

Gerard Goggin g.goggin at unsw.edu.au
Mon Dec 17 14:27:29 CST 2007

[apologies for x-posting, but following on from 'Contemporary Issues
in Disability' panel at CSAA in Adelaide, this may be of interest.]

'The Politics of Disability in New Zealand and Australia'
a stream for ANZCA 2008, http://anzca08.massey.ac.nz/
convened by Gerard Goggin (U. of NSW) & Christopher Newell (UTas)

full papers due: 15 February 2008
abstracts due: 9 June 2008

Over recent years, disability has emerged as an important, contested,
and interdisciplinary facet of communication and media studies.
Disability has also become a salient focus of contemporary government
and understandings of the social.

In this panel, we wish to offer a stocktake of disability and power
in New Zealand and Australia. We hope to identity and debate
contemporary issues in disability, and to bring together and assess
emerging research and theory -- and to discuss the place of
disability in communications and media studies. We are particularly
interested in fostering comparative approaches to the politics of
disability and impairment across national and regional settings,
notably between New Zealand and Australia.

In this light, we welcome topics on a range of relevant topics,
including, but certainly not limited to:

* theories of disability and communication and media
* social and cultural models of disability
* studies of the politics of disability
* the ethics of disability
* disability and communication technologies
* understanding the cultural locations of disability and impairment

Please contact both convenors to discuss possible topics for papers
or panels:

Gerard Goggin (g.goggin at unsw.edu.au)
Christopher Newell (christopher.newell at utas.edu.au)

Postgraduate students and junior scholars in particular are welcome
to get in touch. Please remember that papers and abstracts must be
submitted through the central submissions process.

See you there!

Stream convenors: Gerard Goggin (g.goggin at unsw.edu.au) and
Christopher Newell (christopher.newell at utas.edu.au)

Papers for refereed stream: submit to Elspeth Tilley
(e.tilley at massey.ac.nz)
by 15 February 2008

Abstracts (up to 300 words) for non-refereed stream: submit to Nicole
Patterson (n.v.patterson at massey.ac.nz) by 9 June 2008

Full details at: http://anzca08.massey.ac.nz/

Gerard Goggin
Professor of Digital Communication
& Deputy Director
Centre for Social Research in Journalism and Communication
University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052 NSW Australia
e: g.goggin at unsw.edu.au
w: +61 2 9385 8532