[csaa-forum] New Cultural Studies Book on The Lord of the Rings

Adam Lam adam.lam at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Nov 28 06:38:48 CST 2007

*** New Cultural Studies Book on The Lord of the Rings ***

Dear colleagues,

My colleague Nataliya Oryshchuk and I have edited a collection of essays
on The Lord of the Rings entitled How We Became Middle-earth, taking
Cultural Studies approaches.  I will very much appreciate if you can
help us to let more people know about it.  And I would like to thank you
in advance, should you buy a copy, recommend it to friends and
colleagues, and/or order copies for libraries in your institutes.  The
book is on its introductory sale on Amazon and the link is

http://www.amazon.com/How-Became-Middle-earth-Adam-Lam/dp/3905703076/ref
=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195036459&sr=1-1

Below is more information about the book:

Full title: How We Became Middle-earth: A Collection of Essays on The
Lord of the Rings

Editors: Lam, Adam and Nataliya Oryshchuk

ISBN 978-3-905703-07-8

Subject headings:

Cultural Studies-Globalization, ethnicity, modernity and postmodernity,
postcolonial studies, consumerism Fantasy fiction, English-History and
criticism Film-Adaptation, release, DVD release, audiences, national
cinema, global cinema Game-Internet, computer, video, role-play
Internet-Cyber space, virtual community, virtual space, game Literature,
Comparative Middle-earth (Imaginary place) New Zealand Tolkien, J.R.R.
(John Ronald Reuel), 1892-1973 Tolkien, J.R.R. (John Ronald Reuel),
1892-1973-Criticism and interpretation Tourism

Contents:

List of Abbreviations and Associated Terminology The Lord of the Rings
Filmography

Foreword: Straddling the Date Line in The Lord of the Rings

Howard McNaughton

PART ONE: The (Research) Fellowship of the Ring

1.         Introduction: The Journey of the Ringbearers

Adam Lam and Nataliya Oryshchuk

2.         The (Research) Fellowship: Short Autobiographical Journals

The Contributors

3.         Creating Middle-earth: The Insiders' Views

Anne Buchmann (interviewer)

PART TWO: A World Consumed by Two Towers

Section I: Film Tours and New Zealand's Postcolonial Identity

4.         Postcards from the Shire: Global Impressions of New Zealand
after The Lord of the Rings

Lynnette R. Porter

5.         Theme/Film Tour: The Disappearing of Illusion into Integral
Reality

Lisa Wong

6.         Seeing the Promised Land from Afar: The Perception of New
Zealand by Overseas The Lord of the Rings Audiences

Martin Barker and Ernest Mathijs

7.         Whose Middle-earth Is It? Reading The Lord of the Rings and
New Zealand's New Identity from a Globalized, Post-Colonial Perspective

Daniel Smith-Rowsey

Section II: Modernity, Ecology, Space and Environmentalism

8.         One Wall and No Roof Make a House: The Illusion of Space and
Place in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings

David Butler

9.         Digital Perfection or, Will Middle-earth Be the Death of New
Zealand?

Laura Crossley

10.       Blockbuster Pastoral: An Ecocritical Reading of Peter
Jackson's The Lord of the Rings Films

Thomas Murray Wilson

11.       Millennialism in Middle-earth: An Examination of the Relevance
of The Lord of the Rings

Michael J. Brisbois

Section III: The Pilgrims in and beyond the Tale

12.       All I Really Need to Know about New Zealand I Learned from
Peter Jackson

Bill J. Jerome

13.       To Sex up The Lord of the Rings : Jackson's Feminine Approach
in His "Sub-creation"

Elise McKenna

14.       In Light of Zen Buddhism: Reading Frodo Baggins' Journey to
Rivendell

Lalipa Nilubol

15.   The Weight of Existence: A Camusian Analysis of Frodo's Journey

Gerald A. Powell

PART THREE: Where Does the King Return to?

Section IV: Interpretations Forever

16.       Surprised by Joy: Eucatastrophe in Tolkien's and Jackson's The
Lord of the Rings

Christopher Garbowski

17.       J.R.R. Tolkien and the Child Reader: Images of Inheritance and
Resistance in The Lord of the Rings and J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter

Lori M. Campbell

18.       One Ring to Rule Them All: Power and Surveillance in the Film
Adaptations of The Lord of the Rings

Cherylynn Silvia

Section V: Tale after Tale

19.       Extending the Tale: An Analysis of The Lord of the Rings
Extended Editions

Paola Voci

20.       Breaking of the Fellowship: Competing Discourses of Archives
and Canons in The Lord of the Rings Internet Fandom

Robin Anne Reid

Section VI: The Lord of the Games

21.       Lord of the Games? Father and Son Review The Lord of the Rings
Video Games

Kenneth and Simon Henshall

22.       Will an Online Virtual Middle-earth Stand a Chance?

Bill J. Jerome

Conclusions

23.       A Road to Erewhon: Waiting for the King to Return

Nataliya Oryshchuk

24.       A Journey to Erewhon or a Journey to Nowhere?

Adam Lam

Index 425

Regards,

Adam Lam