[csaa-forum] 2nd CFP 2008 ACS Crossroads Conference + ACS election

Melissa Gregg m.gregg at uq.edu.au
Sun Oct 14 15:59:59 CST 2007

Dear list,

The 2nd CFP for Jamaica is below, and just a reminder to those of you
who have been accepted for Crossroads already: if you are in the
position to be able to register early please do so. This helps the
ACS board in budget estimates for assisting those from
underrepresented nations - a very important aspect of the
association's work.

As election fever is upon us, it is worth mentioning there will also
be a board election coming up for the ACS soon. If anyone is
interested in running (or wants to suggest someone) as representative
for the Australia / New Zealand region, please contact me in the
first instance so I can pass these details on. I intend to run again
this time around, in the interests of board continuity, but it would
be wonderful to have a pool of candidates for democratic reasons and
because of the possibility of various administrative roles that may
be allotted subsequent to the election.

Happy to discuss this further with anyone who wants to get in touch.
See some of you in Adelaide if not Jamaica...
Many thanks,
Melissa

> Second Call (Papers)
>
> 2008 Association for Cultural Studies
> Crossroads in Cultural Studies Conference
> University of the West Indies
> Jamaica
>
> Date: July 3-7, 2008
>
> CALL FOR PAPERS
> Proposals are invited for PAPERS (and a limited number of SESSIONS)
> at the 7th International Crossroads in Cultural Studies Conference,
> scheduled for July 3 to 7, 2008 in the Caribbean.
>
> The Caribbean could well be regarded as one of the first crossroads
> of the modern era, where Africa and Asia met Europe on Amerindian
> soil. The conditions were a forced and bitter crucible. The results
> of that encounter contributed not only to the making of the modern
> western world but also to the dynamism that is central to all the
> cultures of the Western Hemisphere.
>
> Of Sacred Crossroads
> Being a site of conquest, dislocation, crossings, enslavement and
> rebellion, but also of memory and survival, hope of return, culture-
> building, in-between-ness, and immense creativity and heritage, the
> Caribbean is a relevant site for hosting the 7th International
> Crossroads in Cultural Studies Conference, under the theme Of
> Sacred Crossroads.
>
> Contemporary emphasis on materialism and consumerism as measures of
> our humanity, arising from the unbridled excesses to which science
> and technology have been sometimes put, is of growing concern,
> putting under duress the intangibles embodied in the values by
> which we live as human beings. Out of these concerns has sprung
> deepening dialogue at the interface between science and
> spirituality. UNESCO’s celebration of the intangible heritage of
> humankind is a timely reminder that civilizations rise not only on
> great edifices, monuments and artefacts that defy time, but also on
> those moments of ‘livity’, or human relationships, that last only
> as long as they are lived, without which human life would have
> little meaning.
>
> Of Sacred Crossroads captures many of these concerns in a manner
> that allows for the broadest of interpretation and accommodation
> across disciplines and forms—religion, art, dance, song, orature,
> healing, re-creation, performance, ritual, belief systems, ethics,
> globalization, communication, among others.
>
> Key themes for the Conference include: Rituals of arrival and
> contact; Crossings—the art of the crossroads; Spirituality and
> identity; Language rituals; Globalization and the spirit;
> Indigenous spiritualities; Rituals of conflict - rites of
> rebellion; Virtual realities; virtual spiritualities; (Spiritual)
> Tourism; Rituals, substances and sacred geographies; The spirit of
> music; Cultures of reconciliation; Storytelling; Crossroad deities
> and divination; Geographies of the body and spirit.
>
> General areas of interest include:
> Body,
> Identity and difference
> Media
> [...]

Dr. Melissa Gregg
ARC Australian Postdoctoral Fellow
Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
Fourth Floor, Forgan Smith Tower
The University of Queensland
QLD Australia 4072
CRICOS provider number: 00025B