[csaa-forum] Fw: [womenforwik] (no subject)

Marguerite Nolan M.Nolan at mcauley.acu.edu.au
Mon Oct 8 15:42:41 CST 2007

Hi there,
news of a meeting that Sydney-siders may want to attend.
cheers,
maggie

Dr Marguerite Nolan
Lecturer in Australian Studies
School of Arts and Sciences
Brisbane Campus
Australian Catholic University
PO Box 456
Virginia  Q  4014

Ph: (07) 3623 7182
Fax: (07) 3623 7245
Email: M.Nolan at mcauley.acu.edu.au

Australian Catholic University Limited
ABN 15 050 192 660

----- Forwarded by Marguerite Nolan/mcauley on 10/08/07 04:11 PM -----

"eva cox" <ecox1 at bigpond.net.au>
Sent by: announce-bounces at womenforwiklist.org
10/05/07 02:45 PM

<announce at womenforwiklist.org>
cc

Subject
[womenforwik] (no subject)

Please circulate and/or download the attached notice for the meeting
described below. It is designed to be posted up at work and on
noticeboards
in cafes etc, if Sydney is accessible. The information below is also for
circulation but hasn't been set up as a circular.

An important meeting!

Are you concerned about what is happening to Indigenous communities in the
NT and would like to hear the views of women working there?

Come and meet three women at the heart of the NT intervention and hear
what
is really happening and what is needed. Meet Olga Havnen, national
Indigenous leader from the newly formed Combined Aboriginal Organisations,
Eileen Cummings, former advisor to the Chief Minister of NT on Aboriginal
and Women's  Affairs  and her  daughter Raylene Rosas. The event will be
chaired by Dr Anita Heiss, novelist and social commentator, Vice-Chair of
the Australian Society of Authors.

The justification for the Federal intervention is to protect the
Indigenous
children in the NT so we need to make sure that this is what happens. Can
the present and proposed approaches adequately serve the needs of the
women
and children in the NT who need help? Or are there serious flaws in the
approach?

Women for Wik has been re-established to provide support for the women in
the NT who have been working on these issues for some time and to assist
them in monitoring what is happening. We are putting together a community
monitoring project and panel to collect and collate data on how the
communities are being affected. There are no official commitments to any
initial evaluation of whether what is happening is/will assist the
children
in whose name it is being done.

We therefore invite you to join us for a meeting between 2- 4 pm on Sunday
14th of October
at the Australian Hall 150-152 Elizabeth Street, Sydney (near Goulburn St
corner). This venue has been selected because is symbolic as well as
convenient. It was the venue for the first national Aboriginal civil
rights
gathering the Day of Mourning and Protest Conference on the 26 January
1938.

Look up our webpage for more information on the issues and copies of the
reports http://www.womenforwik.org/