[csaa-forum] seminar on 12 october - sorry for cross-posting

Devleena Ghosh Devleena.Ghosh at uts.edu.au
Tue Oct 2 17:55:30 CST 2007

Dear friends
Please come to this presentation by Dr Shalmalee Palekar from UNSW
hosted by the Sydney South Asia Seminar Group.

I would also be grateful if you could pass it along through your
networks

Thanks
Devleena

Day Friday
Date 12 October
Time 6 pm
Venue UTS Bldg3, rm210, enter via 755 Harris St

Soma-Rasa: In this theory / fiction / performance, Soma-Rasa,  I will
examine my "raced," lesbian, academic, creative body as a site of
both "otherness" and empowerment. By inhabiting the subject position
(s) of a diasporic, Indian, lesbian academic in Australia, do I
necessarily operate from multiple liminalities? In what ways do I
negotiate with whiteness? Attempting a fluid movement between
"authenticity" and dreams, between split selves and fragmented
subjectivities, between playfulness and polemic, my writing /
performance will interrogate boundaries of the gendered body,
sexuality, "race," and professionalism. I will explore what
representations make it possible for the voices of "Indian women" to
not be completely anchored to a space that is dictated only by white
Western and Indian dominant discourses. Ultimately, I aim to develop
a longer multimedia performance piece that examines the embodied
production of knowledge and writes sexuality as a participation in
multicultural community networks.

Bio: Shalmalee Palekar is currently a lecturer in the School of
English, Media and Performing Arts at UNSW. She has previously taught
at Sophia College, University of Mumbai, India, SNDT Women's
University, Mumbai, and Macquarie University. Shalmalee has published
journal articles and book chapters in the areas of postcolonial,
queer and gender studies. In 2005, she was a Visiting Fellow at the
Centre for Asia-Pacific Social Transformation Studies (CAPSTRANS),
University of Wollongong, where her research focused on
representations of women's sexualities in Indian fiction and cinema.
Shalmalee is also an active translator of Marathi poetry into
English, and writes, acts, and performs professionally with three
women and a cello, collectively called "Funkier Than Alice".

(Dr) Devleena Ghosh
Senior Lecturer, Social Inquiry Program
(University Research Centre for Communication and Culture)
Bon Marche (Bldg 3), room 550 (enter via Harris St)

Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney
Australia

Postal address: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia
Phone and Voice Mail: +61-2-95141963
Fax: +61-2-95142778
www.transforming.cultures.uts.edu.au