[csaa-forum] CSAA public stands

Marguerite Nolan M.Nolan at mcauley.acu.edu.au
Thu Sep 13 10:17:52 CST 2007

Hi everyone,
perhaps some of you have already seen this - i'm forwarding it on in the
light of that discussion we were having about things we might do in
response to the "intervention" - this site has some suggestions.
I'm feeling very despairing about the whole thing today.
Bring on the election!
Maggie

http://www.womenforwik.org/ is the webpage for Women for wik which has
issued the media release below. If you are angry and want to do something
about what is happening to indigenous people, please make contact, they
need
endorsements, assistance and other resources.

      thanks eva cox

      Women Re-Unite To Monitor Government Intervention In Aboriginal
Communities
      Women for Wik, a group of prominent Australian women, has been
reignited to independently monitor the implementation of the Federal
Government's intervention in Aboriginal communities.

      "Women for Wik" was formed in 1997 and was endorsed by 130 women's
organisations, representing hundreds of thousands of Australian women. Its
original members included Ruth Cracknell, Jane Campion and Justice
Elizabeth
Evatt. It received overwhelming mainstream support.

      The group was inspired by a speech by Lady Deane, the wife of the
then
Governor-General, Sir William Deane, who said women had to take the lead
on
the issue of reconciliation. This week Lady Deane reaffirmed this view
stating "It is up to the women of Australia to get our country back on the
path of reconciliation."

      "Women for Wik" intends to independently monitor the implementation
of
the Federal Government plan, both now and in the future.

      A co-founder of the original group, writer Rosie Scott, said "10
years
ago we raised issues that had been effectively hidden, and helped to
disprove the fear campaign that Indigenous people would take over our
backyards. We now intend to go through the same process with the Federal
Government intervention in the Northern Territory.  We intend to provide a
voice for the women of the Northern Territory whose lives are being
directly
affected."

      Lowitja O'Donoghue, a member of the original group and former
Chairperson of ATSIC stated "The Northern Territory intervention is
patronising and unworkable. We need policies that will take us forward,
not
backwards."

      Christine Olsen, writer-producer of the film Rabbit-Proof Fence,
said
"The answer to the problem is the support of Aboriginal culture. Not the
destruction of it."

      Statements Of Support
      This wouldn't be accepted by any other section of the Australian
society.  If they tried to implement this against women, or Jews, or gays,
the country would be in an uproar. Why do we accept it for Aboriginal
people? Olga Havnen, Indigenous leader and CEO, Combined Aboriginal
Organisations of the NT (and founder of the original Women for Wik group).

      In 1931 Molly walked home with her two sisters, following the rabbit
proof fence. Mr Neville, the Government Protector, was outwitted and
defeated. Now, 76 years later, John Howard is subjecting Aboriginal
communities to the kinds of laws and the kind of thinking which Mr Neville
used. Mr Howard says that "Unless the Indigenous people of this country
become part of the mainstream of the nation, their future is bleak."
Aboriginal culture lies at the very heart of this country. What will we do
if that is destroyed. Christine Olsen, writer & producer of the film
Rabbit-Proof Fence.

      "The quality of justice in a democracy is measured by the quality of
rights the weakest and most vulnerable enjoy. Women know this. Indigenous
Australians know this. But does the Federal Government?" Diane Bell,
Emerita
Professor of Anthropology, George Washington University, DC; Professor of
Anthropology, University of Adelaide.

      Available For Media Interviews:
      Christine Olsen
      (writer & producer, Rabbit-Proof Fence)
      Phone: 02 9810 2138
      Mobile: 0414 627 712
      Email: olsenlevy at telpacific.com.au

      Rosie Scott
      (writer & co-founder of original "Women for Wik")
      Phone: 02 9552 1427
      Mobile: 0405 608 707
      Email: rosie at amaze.net.au

      Associate Professor Claire Smith
      (President, World Archaeological Congress)
      Phone: 08 8278 1934
      Mobile: 0424 388 925
      Email: claire.smith at flinders.edu.au

      Further Info/Images/Interviews: