[csaa-forum] Fw: Send the Senate an urgent message today

Marguerite Nolan M.Nolan at mcauley.acu.edu.au
Mon Aug 13 08:30:37 CST 2007

Hi everyone,
here's something people might want to sign their names up to - the
legislation goes to the Senate tomorrow.
cheers,
maggie

Dr Marguerite Nolan
Lecturer in Australian Studies
School of Arts and Sciences
Brisbane Campus
Australian Catholic University
PO Box 456
Virginia  Q  4014

Ph: (07) 3623 7182
Fax: (07) 3623 7245
Email: M.Nolan at mcauley.acu.edu.au

Australian Catholic University Limited
ABN 15 050 192 660

----- Forwarded by Marguerite Nolan/mcauley on 08/13/07 09:04 AM -----

"GetUp" <info at getup.org.au>
08/11/07 09:16 PM
Please respond to
<info at getup.org.au>

<M.Nolan at mcauley.acu.edu.au>
cc

Subject
Send the Senate an urgent message today

Dear friends,

When the Prime Minister announced his radical 'emergency' plan for
Indigenous communities in the Northern Territory, people welcomed the
commitment to tackle the incidence of child abuse, but the jury was out on
the actual worth of the plan. Well, now the jury's back in -- and the
verdict? It stinks.

The Senate will vote on these laws on Tuesday -- and we want a true debate
on our hands. Send them a message now that we expect them to stand up for
the rights of Indigenous Australians, and respect the integrity of their
parliamentary chamber.

www.getup.org.au/campaign/NoRubberStamp

500 pages of controversial legislation, a paltry one-day Senate hearing,
and merely two days of debate for laws that dramatically affects land
tenure, community s ecurity and the rights of Aboriginal communities in
the NT - done with practically no consultation with the Indigenous people
affected. Everybody wants to stop abuse, but not with flawed laws like
these which experts argued in Friday's Senate hearing actually risk making
children less safe.

We expect more from our Senate, designed to rigourously scrutinise and
vigourously debate the laws passed by the lower House - that's how the
brakes are put on bad legislation. But since the Government took control
of both Houses of Parliament two years ago, the Senate has become no more
than a rubber stamp for the Prime Minister's whims.

Send the Senate a message today. We'll deliver them directly, and we'll
even throw in a rubber stamp and a speed-reading guide for each Senator --
 they'll need one or the other!

www.getup.org.au/campaign/NoRubberStamp

GetUp has already written to each Senator demanding they properly
interrogate the bills, travelled to Canberra to lobby politicians from
around the chamber, met with Indigenous leaders from Central Australia (
read their potent blog here), published articles criticising the plan and
put people in the Committee room for Friday's hearing. We've done all we
can behind the scenes -- now we need your help.

Send a message to our Senators today, so at Tuesday's final vote they'll
have the urgent appeals of thousands of Australians ringing in their ears.

Thanks for being a part of the solution,

The GetUp Team

PS - If you live in Canberra, emai l actsenate at getup.org.au to join us in
the Senate Public Gallery when the bills are debated and voted on next
Monday and Tuesday. It will be harder to make a mockery of our
parliamentary traditions with the eyes of the public looking on.

PPS - Read the real story in our blog from various Indigenous leaders
including Valda Shannon, Gina Smith, Harry Nelson and Walter Shaw.