[csaa-forum] Howard's new Tampa

Melissa Hardie melissa.hardie at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jul 4 09:22:20 CST 2007

Dear All,

I support the idea of a letter to Howard and Rudd -- perhaps a general
letter from concerned members who could self-nominate.  But I wonder if
it mightn't be useful to consider a practical and involving debate about
what we might all be able to do -- be it lobbying, financial support,
whatever -- to help aboriginal people in situations of risk.  I agree
with Noel Pearson (the speech and questions Paul linked to) at least to
this extent (or at least to this formulation of it): familiar positions
in public debate are, on the whole, so mired in acrimony that there's
not a significant prospect that the registration of dismay will, in and
of itself, be likely to cause change.  There might be value gained in
addressing this ongoing dilemma through an amplification of focus.  I
know many of you are already doing that work, and I'd like to know more
about what you are doing.  I'd like to call for us to form ongoing and
responsive strategies for involving ourselves in a practical and
positive way with this situation.

Regards,
Melissa