[csaa-forum] CFP: Discourses of Distance

Philip Dearman philip.dearman at arts.monash.edu.au
Sat May 26 12:13:57 CST 2007

Hi All,

I’m writing to let you know about the forthcoming 5th International
Language, Communication and Culture Conference, to be held in Castelo
Branco, Portugal, 28-30 November 2007 (http://lcc2007.ese.ipcb.pt/).

Within that conference I have proposed the following theme: “Discourses
of Distance: New Media and the Status of Equity in Off Campus Learning”.
The detail of the session is at
http://lcc2007.ese.ipcb.pt/p5_themed_sessions.html

This is an opportunity to recount and to bring a critical perspective to
current reorganisations of distance education. What implications do
Internet technologies have for access and equity, in the context of
national and supranational preoccupations with economic development?
What tools do we have for making sense?

The title of the conference is “‘Post-industrial and infotainment’
Cultural Studies: Questions, Possibilities and Positions for Education”.
The mandate of the conference is to ask the following questions: ‘How
has cultural studies engaged with the new conditions of economic
efficiency, with a society and culture colonized by media culture, and
the authority crises of schools and education? How does cultural studies
investigate and question the new technologies, the new modes of cultural
production and circulation and the new forms of political and social
life in the context of education?’
(http://lcc2007.ese.ipcb.pt/p3_conf_mandate.html)

I’m seeking contributions by scholars who can offer a cross-section of
views on the developing role of Internet technologies in higher
education, the consequences of that development for “access and equity”
considerations, and the particular pedagogic and organisational
challenges involved in distance/distributed learning.

I’m particularly interested in having representation from both developed
and developing countries. It’s vital that we understand the significant
role of distance education technologies in the social and economic
development of countries like South Africa, India, Pakistan, China and
Mexico, and not just the US, the UK and/or Europe.

If you're interested in contributing to the panel, contact me at one of
the following:

email: philip.dearman at arts.monash.edu.au
skype: philip_dearman
phone: +61 3 9902 6322

Alternatively, forward this message to anyone or any group/list you
think may be interested.

Philip Dearman
Faculty of Arts, Monash University, Gippsland Campus