[csaa-forum] CFP Cosmopolitan Civil Societies

ilaria vanni ilaria.vanni at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 21:23:52 CST 2007

* *

*UTS Conference on Cosmopolitan Civil Societies,*

*Sydney, Australia,*

*4-5 October 2007*

*Call for Papers*

An interdisciplinary group of academics from the University of Technology,
Sydney (UTS) from the Faculties of Business, Humanities, Education, Law,
Engineering, the Institute for International Studies (IIS), UTS Shopfront
and *Jumbunna*, the UTS Indigenous centre will convene an international
conference, the *UTS Conference on Cosmopolitan Civil Societies, *in Sydney
on the* *4-5 October 2007.

The Conference has a number of themes:

   - Migration and Civil Societies
   - Cosmopolitan Cities and Communities
   - Cross Cultural Dialogues
   - Civil Societies and the Third Sector
   - Community Activism and Social Movements
   - Cosmopolitan Diversity and Civil Societies in Developing Nations
   - Challenges and Opportunities facing Contemporary Cosmopolitan
   Societies
   - Cultural Differences and Creative Practices
   - Popular Education and Cosmopolitan Societies

International and Comparative Perspectives are invited. We also invite
submissions of *workshop proposals* (1 ½ hours) for the Conference.

Plenary speakers for the Migration strand of the conference include:

   - Jan Rath, Professor of Urban Sociology, Director, Institute of
   Migration and Ethnic Studies, University of Amsterdam**
   - Dan Hiebert, Professor of Geography, Director RIIM centre, Canadian
   Metropolis, UBC, Canada**
   - Paul Spoonley, Professor of Sociology, Massey University, NZ**
   - David McEvoy, Emeritus Professor of Geography, John Moores Uni,
   Liverpool UK**

* *

We will also have a plenary session on *Women, Community and Action in
Cosmopolitan Societies*. Invited speakers for this plenary session will be
announced shortly.

This is the first *Call for Papers f*or the *2007* *UTS Conference on
Cosmopolitan
Civil Societies. *Please send us an email with the *Title of the paper; an
Abstract (200 words) and the Institutional details of presenter(s) **by 30
May 2007*

One stream of the *UTS Conference on Cosmopolitan Civil Societies* will be
devoted to *post-graduate student research papers.* We aim to publish
refereed postgraduate student papers following the conference.

We will also publish the general refereed proceedings of the conference and
we are currently negotiating with the following journals (*Portal Journal of
Multidisciplinary International Studies*, *Transforming Cultures *and *UTS
e-press*) for special issues on themes emerging from the conference.
Negotiations are also underway for the publication of a book of an edited
collection of conferences

In the first instance communication should be directed to ccs at uts.edu.au

A website is being developed for the conference to provide details of
registration fees and procedures, accommodation options and other conference
information.

* *

* *

* *

* *

*Professor Jock Collins, School of Finance and Economics, Faculty of
Business, Convenor of the UTS Conference on Cosmopolitan Civil Societies,
2007* jock.collins at uts.edu.au