[csaa-forum] CHASS and the RFCD code review

Toss Gascoigne director at chass.org.au
Mon Mar 5 12:07:33 CST 2007

Dear csaa-forum

We are writing to you as a subscriber to the CHASS newsletter.

DEST has commissioned a review of the use of the Australian Standard
Research Classification (ASRC).  The RFCD codes is one of these; and
collectively they are used for a variety of purposes including providing R&D
statistics to the ABS.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics is conducting the review.

The ASRC was last revised in 1998, and the updated classification is due for
release in early 2008.  CHASS is one of the seven organisations invited to
nominate a person to the Reference Group guiding this review.

If you (and your organisation) have any views on ASRC, the survey below is
an opportunity to respond to this review.

Comments by Thursday 8 March would be welcome.  (Sorry about the timeline:
it wasn't our idea!)  They should be sent to: david.brett at abs.gov.au

So we can reflect the views of our sector on this matter, please copy your
response to CHASS as well, at:  director at chass.org.au

Regards

Toss Gascoigne

ASRC REVISION QUESTIONNAIRE

The purpose of the ASRC is to allow data to be collected, analysed and
disseminated on R&D activity in Australia, and comparisons to be drawn
between this activity in different economic sectors and with overseas R&D
activity. The ASRC contains definitions of R&D, its scope and units for R&D
classification. These are based on the OECD's Frascati manual, which
provides a standard practice for surveys of research and experimental
development.

1. What, in your opinion, should be the objective of the ASRC? What should
it aim to achieve? i.e. should it aim to describe all research that is
possible or just all research that is conducted in Australia?

2. From the perspective of you/your organisation, what are the principal
failings of the ASRC? Which of these is the most critical?

3. How would you/your organisation prefer that these failings to be
addressed?

4. Other than the reporting of Research and Development data to the ABS, do
you/your organisation make use of the ASRC, for example for internal
reporting or classification of research?

5. One option under active consideration is the possibility of reducing the
RFCD and/or SEO classifications from the current 6 digit system to a 4 digit
system by removing the 6 digit codes. How would such a change affect
you/your organisation?

6. Any further comments?

********
The best way to keep abreast of activities in CHASS is to register to
receive our newsletter.  Add your name to our distribution list at the home
page of the CHASS web site:  Www.chass.org.au
********
Mr Toss Gascoigne
Executive Director
Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
28 Balmain Cres, ANU, ACT, AUSTRALIA

Postal address
PO Box 8157, ANU, ACT AUSTRALIA 2601

Ph: +61 2 6249 1995 OR +61 2 6230 7179
0408 704 442 (international +61 408 704 442)
Fax: +61 2 6247 4335
Email: director at chass.org.au
Web:  www.chass.org.au
ABN:  75 017 337 844