[csaa-forum] CFP Philament Issue 10 Surveillance Extended deadline 27th Feb 2007

Philament emin7161 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 9 14:07:28 CST 2007

From:	Philament <philament at arts.usyd.edu.au>
Date:	January 9th, 2007
CFP: Philament: Cultural Studies and Literary Arts
Deadline EXTENDED: 27th February, 2007
Publication: Dec 2007

Philament now invites postgraduate scholars in creative writing, music and
the visual and digital arts to contribute articles, fictocriticism,
reviews, opinions, and their creative work for the EXCURSIONS section of

Issue 10: Surveillance

SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED: 27th February, 2007
Send to: philament at arts.usyd.edu.au
‘I had some funny dreams about it particularly while flying. I get to
customs, and the officer checks my passport. Punching data into the
computer, an alarm sounds. I’m wanted by the thought police in two
countries for crimes against culture. I’m taken away to an airless room
and forced to watch endless videos of Treasurer Peter Costello’s budget
speeches
.’
McKenzie Wark

‘
every novelist has something in common with a spy: he watches, he
overhears, he seeks motives and analyses character, and in his attempt to
serve literature he is unscrupulous.’
Graham Greene

Possible themes include, but are not limited to:
Gaze	Confessing	Forensics
Subject/Object	Espionage	Voyuers
Big Brother/Orwell	Omniscience	Control/Restriction
Bentham/Panopticon	Reality TV	CCTV
Stalking	Vigilance	Files
Watching	Reporting	Inspecting
Machiavelli	Caring	Tracking
Gaols/Camps/Walls	Secret Police	Demographics
The State	Detectives	Audiences
Scrutiny	Seeing	Border Patrol

Please note:
We are calling for submissions in the form of:
Opinion pieces: reviews (book, stage, screen, etc.), conference reports,
short essays, responses to papers previously published in Philament
issues.
Creative Work: in the form of writing, images, sounds or a mixture of any
or all three. However, all submissions should be limited to three pieces.
All submissions may be sent as email attachment in a PC-readable format to
philament at arts.usyd.edu.au.
Please also attach the Philament submission form to your email or hardcopy
submission.
For further information visit
http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/publications/philament