[csaa-forum] UK-based opportunities

Lelia GREEN l.green at ecu.edu.au
Fri Dec 15 08:11:34 CST 2006

The UK National Endowment for Science Technology and the Arts' Policy and
Research Unit has two exciting opportunities that may be of interest to
social scientists interested in the social and political aspects of
innovation.

1) Recruitment of Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow ^ Programme Design
& Evaluation (£45 - 65k)

Purpose of the role - To assist the Executive Director of Policy and
Research in building and delivering a research agenda that substantially
contributes to the national and international debate over innovation and
raises NESTA's profile as an authoritative voice within that debate. To work
across NESTA to design model programmes that develop NESTA's understanding
of innovation and result in actionable policy recommendations. To ensure the
analytical rigour of NESTA's overall research agenda and programme design
and analysis. The ideal candidate will have an interest in innovation,
programme design experience and good influencing skills
Find out more:
http://www.nesta.org.uk/about/working/current_vacancies.aspx

2) Request for Research Proposals ^ Theme: Arts and Innovation

Specifically, and in order of priority, we are interested in:
1. How do the arts and creative industries fuel innovation in the UK's wider
economy and society?
2. How does interdisciplinary work involving the arts and creative
industries lead to innovation?
3. How does innovation occur in the arts and creative industries?
Specifically, how do new ideas develop, push boundaries and find their way
into the mainstream creativeindustries?

General observations:

We intend to fund 2-3 research projects and are particularly interested in
rigorous approaches to Question 1. We are especially interested in research
proposals that use economics, quantitative analysis and systems-mapping
techniques. We are only interested in approaches based on case studies in so
far as they clearly demonstrate a capability to develop wider, transferable
implications and policy recommendations.

We welcome proposals from all organisations for projects of 3-12 months'
duration for up to £120,000.

Find out more:
http://www.nesta.org.uk/informing/policy_and_research/getting_involved.aspx

Maria Estevez,