[csaa-forum] Call for Contributions

Selvaraj Velayutham Selvaraj.Velayutham at scmp.mq.edu.au
Thu Dec 14 12:11:43 CST 2006

Call for Papers - Edited Book
EVERYDAY MULTICULTURALISM
Amanda Wise & Selvaraj Velayutham (editors)

Following a successful conference on Everyday Multiculturalism
organised by the Centre for Research on Social Inclusion at Macquarie
University, Australia
[http://www.crsi.mq.edu.au/news_and_events/everyday_multiculturalism.htm],
we have received expressions of interest from a number of publishers
keen on publishing a collection on this topic. They have encouraged us
to attract a good international spread of papers.

While research on multiculturalism and racism is well developed,
qualitative research into everyday modes of lived multiculturalism,
remains fairly limited. We invite papers that explore quotidian
experiences of cultural difference and diversity. Quotidian diversity
has been variously described as 'togetherness-in-difference' (Ang 2000),
and 'inhabiting difference' (Hage 1998). We take the term to mean those
perspectives on cultural diversity which recognize the embodied or
inhabited nature of living with cultural difference.

We welcome expressions of interest from scholars doing grounded
research on the topic of multiculturalism which explores the ways in
which people experience and (dis)engage with cultural difference using
case studies from around the world but which also make broader
theoretical points relevant beyond the locality involved. Accessible
theoretical papers which engage with the concept of the everyday are
also welcome. We are interested in papers that explore the intersections
and relationships between cultural groups, rather than research taking a
single ethnic group as a focus. Papers can also examine:

*	Interconnections between the everyday and larger discourses of
multiculturalism and nation;
*	Everyday affinities and solidarities
* 	Everyday disjunctures, discomforts, and racisms between
cultures;
*	Modes of living with and across difference in cities, suburbia
or regional areas;
*	Food, neighbouring, shopping, school, sport, etc. as sites for
multicultural encounters and negotiations at the neighbourhood level;
*	Multicultural place-sharing and battles over place identity and
belonging.

Perspectives from any discipline are welcome, especially sociology,
anthropology, cultural studies, and human geography.

Please send a proposed title, a 500 word abstract and a short bio by 16
February 2007 to Banu Senay - banu.senay at scmp.mq.edu.au

Accepted contributions (5-7,000) words will have to be completed by 31
July 2007 with a view to publication in early 2008.

For all enquiries please contact -  Dr Selvaraj Velayutham
selvaraj.velayutham at mq.edu.au or Dr Amanda Wise amanda.wise at mq.edu.au