[csaa-forum] CHASS Newsletter 19: November 2006

CHASS mail-list at chass.org.au
Mon Nov 6 10:59:03 CST 2006

Dear csaa-forum

CHASS Newsletter Number 20, for November 2006.

1.  COLLABORATING ACROSS THE SECTORS
2.  DIRECTORS' MEETING MELBOURNE JULY 2007
3.  MEMBERSHIP OF CHASS
4.  POLICY AND SUBMISSIONS: POSITION VACANT
5.  HUMANITIES AND LAW: PANEL 11
6.  HISTORY AND POLITICAL SCIENCE WORKSHOP
7.  CHASS EXECUTIVE
8. PRODUCTIVITY COMMISSION REPORT ON SCIENCE AND INNOVATION
9.  CREATIVE AND PERFORMING ARTS WORKSHOP
10.  PRIME MINISTER'S PRIZE FOR AUSTRALIAN HISTORY

1.  COLLABORATING ACROSS THE SECTORS
This report is now finished and at the printers.

It examines how and when people in the humanities, arts and social sciences
collaborate with colleagues in science, technology, engineering and medicine
(HASS and STEM).

We will launch it as soon as possible, and have asked Minister Julie Bishop
to speak.  We will invite all Members to the launch (as well as the 1200
people who responded to the surveys) when a date has been set.

Here is an extract from the Executive summary:

"Some of the most exciting research and education today has little regard
for traditional disciplinary boundaries. For example, research to help
Australia's ageing population profile brings together medical science, basic
biology, engineering, social science and arts and humanities.

"The world is turning to multi-disciplinary collaborations to deal with the
big issues we face, critical problems such as water shortages, global
climate change and threats to national security, human health and economic
sustainability. No single discipline has all the answers: we need to provide
the flexibility to ensure that the research and education community can
pursue investigations across the whole landscape, regardless of discipline
or approach."

2. DIRECTORS' MEETING MELBOURNE JULY 2007
The next meeting for the Directors of university-based centres of education
and research will be held in mid-July at RMIT in Melbourne.

The meeting will focus on a combination of national issues, and matters
related to the organization and funding of centres.

We aim to involve current centre directors in helping set the direction of
this event, and will be talking to them early in the New Year.

3.  MEMBERSHIP OF CHASS
We now have 96 Members, all listed on our website in alphabetical order.

An interesting aspect is that universities are opting to sign up as senior
Members, so that all their staff are included.  Latest is the University of
Melbourne, which joins the ANU, La Trobe University, Monash University,
Murdoch University, QUT and University of Newcastle.

4.  POLICY AND SUBMISSIONS: POSITION VACANT
CHASS is looking for a person (or people) to draft policy material on issues
affecting the humanities, arts and social sciences.

This could a draft submission to an inquiry conducted by a Government agency
or Parliamentary committee; or a response to a white paper.  It could be
initiated by CHASS, and involve a literature search, a survey or the
drafting of a report.

This (paid) work is likely to be at irregular intervals and often with tight
deadlines.

We invite expressions of interest from individuals or organisations with the
experience and capacity to conduct this work.  Contact Toss Gascoigne to
discuss: 02 6249 1995

5.  HUMANITIES AND LAW: PANEL 11
CHASS was asked to provide advice on the proposed RQF Expert Advisory Panel
11 on  Humanities and Law.  Concerns had been expressed that Panel 11 is
likely to experience difficulty in assessing a wide range of disciplines
with the limited number of assessors (12 - 15 people) envisioned for each
panel.

The CHASS Board considered a report based on nearly 50 submissions from the
sector, and has advised the Chief Scientist as follows:

"After considering the report at length, the Board came to the view that
there was not enough evidence to support splitting the existing Panel 11
into two parts.  Although a number of respondents did favour this option, no
clear single view emerged from the consultations.

"Given the issues of workload that the current arrangements in Panel 11
would generate, however, an alternative approach which gained the support of
the Board was the duplication of the Panel, with the work being divided
between two equally constituted teams of assessors.  Both teams would
consider applications from across the full spectrum."

6.  HISTORY AND POLITICAL SCIENCE WORKSHOP
CHASS has been asked to investigate the appropriateness of the citation
analysis process for History and Political Science.  Data has been collected
from universities round Australia.

The data will be considered at two separate meetings of experts in Melbourne
on Tuesday November 14.

There MAY be opportunities for other people to be involved in these 3 hour
meetings.  Interested historians or political scientists should send a brief
note to CHASS outlining their experience:  director at chass.org.au

7.  CHASS EXECUTIVE
The CHASS Board has elected its Executive for 2006-07.  Joining President
Stuart Cunningham (QUT, Queensland) on the Executive are:
Professor Linda Rosenman (University of Queensland, Qld) Vice-President
Ms Julie Dyson (AusDance, ACT) Treasurer
Mr Stuart Hamilton (Open Universities Australia, Victoria) Secretary

Board Members
Professor Sharon Bell (University of Canberra, ACT)
Professor Greg Craven (Curtin University, WA)
Professor Elizabeth More (Macquarie University, NSW)
Professor Sue Richardson (Flinders University, SA)
Professor Kim Walker (University of Sydney, NSW)
Professor Sue Willis (Monash University, Vic)

8. PRODUCTIVITY COMMISSION REPORT ON SCIENCE AND INNOVATION
The Productivity Commission has released its draft report, and invited
comment.

Our submission was sharply critical of the terms of reference, and the
specific exclusion of the social sciences, the arts and humanities "except
to the extent they are relevant to innovation."

First impressions are that the Report suggests adjustments to the existing
system rather than radical overhauls.  It has certainly considered points
raised by CHASS, and perhaps there is a slight bending:

"This does not mean that research into the social sciences and humanities
without a link to innovation is unimportant, but rather that it lies outside
the principal concerns of this study."

The Overview document and the full 600 page report are available at:
http://www.pc.gov.au/

9.  CREATIVE AND PERFORMING ARTS WORKSHOP
64 people from the visual and performing arts in the tertiary sector
discussed impact in the proposed RQF at the CHASS workshop at the VCA.  They
came from 22 separate universities and 10 other organisations (including the
Australia Council and DEST); and the tertiary councils were represented at a
senior level.

A letter has been sent to Minister Julie Bishop, seeking funding for a
follow-up workshop to consider metrics, peer evaluation criteria and
possible approaches to the context statements, to ensure clarity and
consistency.

Here is a selection of comments from participants.

"Getting us together was an excellent move. We all had so much in common
that it was easy to agree on most matters. As indicated, you may well have
awoken a sleeping Creative Arts giant."

"These are tremendously useful forums. They are the missing link in terms of
information sharing, promoting sectoral unity, and are an ideal vehicle for
professionalisation of our activity. I'll go to as many as I can."

More comments are on the CHASS website:  www.chass.org.au

10.  PRIME MINISTER'S PRIZE FOR AUSTRALIAN HISTORY
An embossed gold medallion and a grant of $100,000 will be awarded to an
individual or a group, for "for an outstanding publication or body of work
that contributes significantly to an understanding of Australian history."

Entries close 17 November 2006.

Shortlisting to be by the Australian History Prize Committee (membership to
be announced "in the near future").

Details on Minister Bishop's website: www.dest.gov.au/pmhistoryprize

Regards

Stuart Cunningham
President

********
The best way to keep abreast of activities in CHASS is to register to
receive our newsletter.  Add your name to our distribution list at the home
page of the CHASS web site:  Www.chass.org.au
********
Mr Toss Gascoigne
Executive Director
Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
28 Balmain Cres, ANU, ACT, AUSTRALIA

Postal address
PO Box 8157, ANU, ACT AUSTRALIA 2601

Ph: +61 2 6249 1995 OR +61 2 6230 7179
0408 704 442 (international +61 408 704 442)
Fax: +61 2 6247 4335
Email: director at chass.org.au
Web:  www.chass.org.au
ABN:  75 017 337 844