[csaa-forum] Free Public Lecture: Prof. Ronald de Leeuw (Dir. Rijksmuseum)

Ryan Johnston johr at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Oct 16 11:07:30 CST 2006

Free Public Lecture: Professor Ronald de Leeuw, Director of the
Rijksmuseum
Venue: Wood Lecture Theatre, Economics and Commerce Building, The
University of Melbourne
Date: 9th November, 2006
Time: 10am (coffee & tea from 9:30)

Changing Museums
‘Often museums change as the result of societal pressures, or pressure
from politicians representing society.  Is there anything we, as museum
professionals and/or art historians, wish to change or develop
ourselves?  Museums have evolved since the 19th century, but not really
in an essential way.  We present our collections too much according to
classification (art - decorative arts, glass with glass, silver with
silver) without necessarily asking ourselves: Is the public actually
interested in that? or: What other stories could our objects tell?  It
is a fact that temporary exhibitions rate far better with the public
than permanent displays of the collection. What should be learnt from
this? Does new media have a role to play?’

Professor Ronald de Leeuw has been Director of the Rijksmuseum since
1996, and in 2002 he became principal of the New Rijksmuseum Project.
He is also Extraordinary Professor of Museology and of the History of
Collecting at the Free University at Amsterdam.  Prof. de Leeuw has
been instrumental in bringing several major exhibitions to Australia,
including Rembrandt (1997) and Dutch Masters (2005).

Professor de Leeuw’s lecture is part of the FLUX conference to be held
at the University of Melbourne on the 9th and 10th of November 2006.
FLUX will feature 75 papers from postgraduates across Australia and New
Zealand in the fields of art history, cinema, classics, archaeology,
museology and related disciplines.  FLUX is a free event, all welcome.
For more details see: www.ahcca.unimelb.edu.au/flux
Or email: ahccapgrads at gmail.com