[csaa-forum] Chilean film-making seminar @ UNSW

James Donald j.donald at unsw.edu.au
Thu Aug 24 16:29:55 CST 2006

UNSW Media Film and Theatre Seminars
5 p.m. Webster Building 327
Wednesday 30 August

STEALING BACK
ARCHIVES AND CHILEAN FILM-MAKING

PABLO LEIGHTON

This talk and film screening will consider the making of new Chilean
film cultures that rescue and reframe historical media material,
concentrating on the formal and informal use of audio-visual archives.

I will illustrate the reappropriation and reconstruction of a Chilean
audio-visual practice - literally destroyed in the past - from
different sources and through excerpts of film pieces of my own,
which range from fiction to experimental documentaries.

These works have led me to a theoretical doctorate research about the
media culture of propaganda under both military and democratic
political regimes in Chile. My doctorate will cover the 1970
democratic election of the first Marxist president, the 1973 coup and
the military dictatorship that stayed in power until 1990, and the
current democratic regime which has kept Pinochet's Constitution and
his neoliberal socio-economic administration intact.

This research has been undertaken in the School of Media, Film and
Theatre at UNSW as part of an Endeavour Research Fellowship.

Pablo Leighton is currently a PhD candidate at the Universidad de
Santiago de Chile, in the Latino American Studies program. He studied
film-making in California and Boston, and journalism in Chile.

--
Dr James Donald
Associate Dean (Education), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Telephone	(02)9385 4858
Mobile		0433 126445
Facsimile		(02) 9385 6812

International