[csaa-forum] Interalia: an international refereed queer studies journal

Gary Hall gary.hall at connectfree.co.uk
Wed Aug 2 04:24:42 CST 2006

Hi,

Just posting this for a friend. (Please don't reply to me - there's a
contact address on the Interalia website.)

Gary

--------------
We proudly announce the launch of the first issue of InterAlia
<http://www.interalia.org.pl>, an international refereed queer studies
journal from Poland.

The institutionalization of queer studies within Western—chiefly
U.S.—academic structures has given rise to the view that queer studies
is past its prime and the original, subversive impetus has been lost,
giving way to a "new order" which uncannily resembles the "old" one. We
have seen a queer canon solidified, queer careers established, and queer

theory itself largely geared to the needs and expectations of U.S.
academia. There is a growing sense that if queer studies is to survive
at all, it must relocate itself into a much more de-centralized domain.

We believe that queer studies should be practiced with both an emphasis
on local articulations of queer identities and queer politics, and a
serious engagement with
processes of "globalization." The wave is out, so to speak, and queer
studies continues to spread into ever new territories, geographically
and academically. InterAlia's mission is to bring together the most
varied international (if not postnational), transdisciplinary
perspectives. The project of queer studies has only just begun.

It is our hope that this electronic journal will secure a stronger place

for Eastern/Central European queer studies on the map and foster the
growth of queer communities. We count on our readers to use their email
networks to advertise InterAlia; only through such networks can we reach

beyond the current queer studies circuit.

Tomasz Basiuk
Dominika Ferens
Marzena Lizurej
Tomasz Sikora