[csaa-forum] RE: Another attack on CS

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Sun Jul 30 09:51:37 CST 2006

As I was rethinking the motivation behind my snarky comment, Amanda
and Ien have raised the "hurt", so against my better judgement, let
me try a few points again about Dawson's piece, because when Mark
Davis is chiming in with support for it, it worries me a lot :).
Actually, it's about the genre, because I'm sure many of us have read
many pieces like it, if not always directed at conferences we're
organising ourselves. Looks like I've written a lot, again, must be
tax time.

1) Pieces like Dawson's cause me hurt, as they cause hurt to other
people who are engaged in complex activism around cultural politics
and who sometimes use technical language  - a.k.a "my crew".
Moreover, it's written with language ("academic weasel words") and a
style that has a long history in causing hurt. There's no respect for
the intellectual work done, and no respect for the practical work
done at the coalface of intercultural interaction, work which is much
more complex than tossing straw people around in newspaper columns.
Mark, I'm sorry, I'm not in the "our" whose intellectual practice
Dawson is "defending".

It's possible to write clearly and straightforwardly, in Murdoch
newspapers, with that respect (cf. Probyn, Lumby). Dawson's language
is that of the hater. There's no way that any evidence I could
marshall about multiculturalism or academic practice would influence
her argument, which is worked out in advance and not very specific to
the conference (or to Australia for that matter). Everyone's already
rehearsed a number of reasons why the argument is wrong. I'd like to
keep the focus not on the argument, but on the lack of respect, which
is the real source of the hurt and the responses here to these
attacks. I guess my experience is that you don't bridge political or
cultural gaps without respect, so immediately I see Dawson's
particular vision of a more united and organised "academic Left" as
both impossible and suspect, because she doesn't practice what she's
preaching.

2) Next methodological problem: for someone preaching audiences and
communication, Dawson's handle on how you communicate to audiences is
shaky at best, based on bad faith at worst. Who's the audience for
this piece, me? It's supposedly addressed to people like me, who are
supposed to stop using complex language and be more plain speaking.
Why am I not convinced? Ah, the piece isn't addressed to me at all,
which is part of the reason I feel hurt! I'm being spoken about, not
spoken to. Someone speaking *to* me would be showing respect. The
people being spoken to by Dawson seem to agree with her argument that
academics are elitist and need to find the common touch for
Australia's benefit. Who could disagree with such mom and apple pie
sentiments? The only people who would argue are those who are being
spoken about, who would have to cough politely and intrude on the
cosy conversation. Hmm, why does this dynamic seem familiar when
we're talking about multiculturalism?

Dawson may be well-intentioned, but unfortunately, as the Coup put
it, she's getting hustled only knowing half the game. The sad fact is
that while her personal experience of exclusion form academic
language may be genuine (and a genuinely well-worn strategy for
adding human interest to a newspaper column about such personal
topics as the Left, Australia, academia, etc.), that's not why her
column is being published. It's being published because forums like
the Australian, with a resolutely nationalist and masculine mode of
address, have always relied on the "maverick native informant" who
will find a career for themselves by translating information about
feared minorities into a palatable morality play, finishing with the
need for "others" to be more "like us". "I'm an aspiring academic,
and I can tell you that academics conform to all the things you
already thought about them!  Luckily, I'm not interested in becoming
one of those, and maybe I can change them for you!" "Oh, she's a good
girl! I wish there were more like her."  It could be women dissing
feminism, migrants preaching assimilation, former marxists disavowing
the left, or indigenous people telling the whites how their
communities need paternalistic "tough love" from the government. (Or
"young fogies", Mark!). The narrative of personal identity and
insider-outsiderism is really tailor-made for op-ed. Unfortunately,
making  a "public" career for oneself by selling division within a
specific community to the press might not lead to a happy life, or a
particularly sustainable form of professional practice. Because when
shit goes down, you can to turn to your community for support, but
"the Left" or "Australia" or the other abstractions you might be
writing for might not remember you.

3) I know most of Dawson's fans have given up by this point, but
let's talk about this "out there" or "public" where our intellectual
work is supposed to have an impact. If Dawson's underlying point is
that we need to find greater public impact for our work, I'll say,
"Of course, what are you doing a PhD for if you want to write op-ed
for the Australian then?". It's like getting an computer science
degree to retail computers. That's not saying the Australian doesn't
have an impact, but it's through the reflection/refraction of
sentiment, rather than evidence-based intellectual argument of the
kind academics are trained for (and I think the real transformations
of people's imaginations through the press come in feature writing,
rather than op-ed, though I think op-ed can have a useful "disrupting
storylines" capability when done well). The press is also seductive
in its reach, yet impossible to gauge in its real impact, so it's the
perfect domain for academics to project their fantasies about
changing the world. It's dangerously overrated by CS as a sphere, in
a way that only seems to feed the anxieties Dawson and other
postgrads are expressing about the field.

I know plenty of people trained in cultural disciplines by the
academy who have a massive impact on the "public out there" - they
work in policy. I think educators would do well to steer students who
want to affect the public in a general way into that domain. Most
would quickly realise they've become too busy with real politics to
worry about people writing theory :7. I do policy work occasionally,
and it's hard and frustrating and makes me realise I'm much better at
other kinds of textual work. But because it's attached to law/
resources, the effects are real. In policy/govt. there is an actual
political mechanism determining "the common", rather than just a
vague sense that your writing should conform to a certain style to be
politically effective. I think that lack of confidence in the
"publicness" of that style is a part of the resentment and anxiety
over theory comes from the chattering classes.

At the other end of the scale, the other place you know your work can
have an impact is in teaching. The feedback on your performance is
measurable. Whenever I run facilitation exercises where non-academics
talk about significant events in their lives, I get surprised at how
many will talk about experiences where a teacher inspired them or
shifted their thinking. They don't talk about what they read in the
paper.  Personally, I think that individual good teachers I know have
had more of a transformational impact on "culture" than Keith
Windschuttle, and that makes me happy. Personal interaction might
seem marginal to the "public", but what it lacks in scale, it makes
up for in depth, impact and longevity. I'll always forward that
against the ivory tower argument, and I miss teaching for that reason.

If you want to talk about *writing* (which is ultimately what Dawson
was talking about: language, not real political impact), then your
style reflects your own capability and the forum you're working in,
and hopefully as an academic or media professional you learn that
those are going to be different depending on the circumstance.

For me, that's the most important message that can be, should be, and
too occasionally is put forward in places like the Australian, both
for academia and multiculturalism: there's more than one way of doing
things, and that's good, because everyone's different. If people use
obscure language, have unusual customs, or seem to be somehow out of
step with the "public" we're all used to, that can be an opportunity
for us to learn, rather than being a threat to our interests.

Dawson's underlying message is the opposite: the urgency of the
situation means we need to agree on a collective set of values/
strategies to "benefit Australia". If the currency of op-ed is
mobilising sentiment, all I see in Dawson's message is a reflection
of the more pernicious attacks on tolerance, difference, and
expertise that we're becoming used to.  And it frightens me, to be
honest.

x.d

--
Danny Butt