: Re: [csaa-forum] Another attack on CS in the Oz

Indigo Willing i.willing at uq.edu.au
Fri Jul 28 14:54:03 CST 2006

I am really appreciative of what Laknath articulates below and
Tanja's post.  It's a common thing, at least for me, to wonder how to
translate insights from the likes of Bhabha, Butler or Bourdieu to
the very communities I might be trying to apply their theories.

However, to go along Greg's train of thought in my own weird way,
those in the physical sciences also do struggle in explaining their
work to different audiences/publics outside their disciplines. OR
thinking of tradies - things are explained differently for their
"clients".

I'd like to see Emma's next contribution be about what she thinks
works well in terms of translating what insights academics are making
that make an immediate impact on the communities of interest, rather
than critiquing technicians (in this case theoreticians) for
communicating in the language of their chosen field.

As a side thought, I wonder if there's a distinction between
sociology and cultural studies that ED is (perhaps unhelpfully)
making re: she finds academics like Jakubowicz useful while
dismissing those more regularly found in cultural studies.

Indigo
PhD Candidate - Sociology
The School of Social Science
The University of Queensland