[csaa-forum] Another attack on CS in the Oz

Amanda Wise amanda.wise at scmp.mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 28 13:57:08 CST 2006

Thanks for all this input. I was furious this morning, but have calmed down
substantially! Softly, softly, I promise.

I think Greg (and others) make important points. I'll synthesise these
arguments and write to her and something for the oz. Indeed; I might just
invite her to give her a paper!

Its always the problem writing about the 'everyday' as you've all pointed
out.

Another point to be made is that ED is quite patronising towards
non-academics. We have lots of non-academics coming to this conference. They
come in droves because they enjoy the stimulation of hearing fresh ideas
which are theoretically informed. They are quite capable of understanding
the work we present. Indeed, we deliberately pitched the conference CFP at
attracting 'grounded' work; esp based on ethnographic and/or interview based
approaches - so it's a conference full of accessible work.

But as Greg says; theory or otherwise, we have a perfect right as academics
to congregate and discuss academic ideas in an academic forum. It is quite a
separate question as to whether and how we subsequently communicate those
ideas to the wider public.

Many of the speakers at our conference (including myself) are engaged in
public debate through the media; through consulting with local, state and
federal govt; through working community groups. We are quite capable of
working at different registers. Ien Ang and Greg Nobles work (who are
keynotes at the conf) is a case in point.

Thanks for the input. Lets see if the oz publishes my rebuttal op ed. I Hope
you're all ok if I quote some of your emails

Cheers
Amanda