[csaa-forum] ³ To Hell with Culture ²

Toss Gascoigne director at chass.org.au
Tue Jul 11 14:50:21 CST 2006

Dear csaa-forum

How has culture fallen into bad odour with politicians? How can public
support be enlisted?  Why is culture important, and how can its value be
explained? Do cultural institutions need to adopt a fresh strategic
approach?

Who has to be persuaded, and what are the best tactics for each audience? Is
it just Australia?

"To Hell with Culture" will address these questions, at an afternoon seminar
in Melbourne on Thursday 10 August.

Victoria College of the Arts.  Begins at 3 pm, finishes at 6.30.  There is
an optional drinks and book launch at 6.30 pm.

Registration costs $55 and the form is on our website: www.chass.org.au

MAIN SPEAKERS
John Holden, Head of Culture at Demos in London, and Stuart Cunningham,
Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and
Innovation at Queensland University of Technology.

There will be a discussion, a debate, a panel of respondents, and an
opportunity to comment and ask questions.

"Until politicians understand what the public values about culture, and
until cultural professionals create and articulate that demand, culture will
always remain vulnerable to indifference or attack."  John Holden

"A creative economy is much more than art and culture, it's about writers,
composers and filmmakers, but also about all the creative and
technologically literate wunderkinder who are bringing about dramatic change
within the business and service sectors.  Stuart Cunningham

Registration and more information at the CHASS web site:  www.chass.org.au

Regards

Toss Gascoigne

** When I hear the word 'culture' I reach for my gun."  This quote is often
associated with Hermann Göring a member of the Nazi party who was sentenced
to death at the Nuremberg Trials.

The original quote was not actually from Göring, but from Act 1, Scene 1 of
Hanns Johst's play Schlageter, which was performed in 1933 for Adolf
Hitler's birthday. The original line was: "Wenn ich Kultur höre ...
entsichere ich meinen Browning!" which means "When I hear "culture" I
release the safety catch on my Browning!"

********
The best way to keep abreast of activities in CHASS is to register to
receive our newsletter.  Add your name to our distribution list at the home
page of the CHASS web site:  Www.chass.org.au
********
Mr Toss Gascoigne
Executive Director
Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
28 Balmain Cres, ANU, ACT, AUSTRALIA

Postal address
PO Box 8157, ANU, ACT AUSTRALIA 2601

Ph: +61 2 6249 1995 OR +61 2 6230 7179
0408 704 442 (international +61 408 704 442)
Fax: +61 2 6247 4335
Email: director at chass.org.au
Web:  www.chass.org.au
ABN:  75 017 337 844