[csaa-forum] CHASS: June 21 update

Toss Gascoigne director at chass.org.au
Wed Jun 21 14:01:21 CST 2006

Dear csaa-forum

The latest news from CHASS:

1. NEW ON OUR WEBSITE!
Minister Julie Bishop's speech on knowledge transfer and the RQF, and
Malcolm Gillies' response.

She said:
"After all, what is the value of a university which does not work hand in
hand with business to build economic growth in that university's region?
What is the value of providing professional degree courses which do not
reflect contemporary practice? What is the value of a university which does
not strive to strengthen regional economic and social capacities?

"Such activity is indeed the hallmark of an engaged university: one which is
relevant to its economy and its students, and which ensures that its
services are indeed demanded by its broader social and economic community."

He said:
"I would like to approach any Knowledge Transfer initiative through the
issue of commitment and incentive:  what contributions can these sectors
reasonably make, and how can those contributions be encouraged and rewarded?

"Š Enhanced engagement of the humanities, arts and social sciences sectors
might be achieved if measurable outcomes were required, but in more ways
than the simply economic."

2.  "SCALING UP FOR GREATER IMPACT"
REGISTRATIONS CLOSE MONDAY 26 JUNE
Full program and registration form is on our website:  www.chass.org.au

Regards

Toss Gascoigne

********
The best way to keep abreast of activities in CHASS is to register to
receive our newsletter.  Add your name to our distribution list at the home
page of the CHASS web site:  Www.chass.org.au
********
Toss Gascoigne
Executive Director
Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (CHASS)
28 Balmain Cres, ANU, ACT

Postal address
PO Box 8157, ANU, ACT AUSTRALIA 2601

Ph: 02 6249 1995 OR 02 6230 7179