[csaa-forum] Seminar @ UNSW

James Donald j.donald at unsw.edu.au
Fri May 26 08:47:35 CST 2006

UNSW Media Film and Theatre Seminars
Wednesday 31 May 2006
5 p.m. Webster Building 327

Cultures of Independence
Small/Independent US, UK and Australian Presses
in an Age of Conglomerate Publishing

Noel King

What are the present role and future prospects of small and/or
independent publishers at a time when large presses work in tandem
with the power of bookstore chains to put certain kinds of book
product in front of the book purchasing public?

In this paper, I look at small presses in Australia (Fremantle Arts
Centre Press; Wakefield Press; Scribe Press), England (Pete Ayrton's
Serpent's Tail Press in London) and the US (Russ Chatham's Clark City
Press in Livingston, Montana; Steerforth Press in Hanover, New
Hampshire, and Dennis McMillan's Press in Tucson, Arizona).  They all
publish a mix of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and cultural criticism.
Drawing on interviews I have conducted with the publishers, I discuss
their aesthetic and business strategies of their respective
publishing enterprises and reveal how they survive in our
contemporary moment of globalised, big-merger publishing.

Dr Noel King is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Media Studies
at Macquarie University.

--
Dr James Donald
Associate Dean (Education), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Telephone	(02)9385 4858
Mobile		0433 126445
Facsimile		(02) 9385 6812

International