[csaa-forum] Dennis del Favero seminar

James Donald j.donald at unsw.edu.au
Thu May 11 14:50:06 CST 2006

UNSW Media Film and Theatre Seminars
Wednesday 17 May 2006
5 p.m. Webster Building 327

Nachträglichkeit
an aesthetics of immanence and trauma
Dennis del Favero

Pierre Janet coined the classic spatial
formulation of trauma when he argued that in the
normal course of events, experiences are
processed through processes that enable them to
be constituted as narrative. Trauma, however,
resists such processing. As Jill Bennett has
noted, trauma for Janet is not so much remembered
as subject to uncontrolled repetition. "It is
only for convenience that we speak of it as a
'traumatic memory' ... The subject is often
incapable of making the necessary narrative which
we call memory regarding the eventŠ". If trauma
is so opposed to narrative representation then
how can we artistically engage with trauma when
what characterises trauma is its
anti-representional and anti-narrative nature?
Freud, in contrast, coined the concept of
nachtraglichkeit to suggest the dynamically
temporal nature of trauma. The paper investigates
these concepts in relation to a series of new
media projects undertaken by the artist between
2003 and 2006. These works do not represent
trauma in an attempt to induce a traumatic
experience in an audience, but rather, aim to
dramatize the productiveness of trauma as it
engages the past and future through the present.

Dennis Del Favero is a Sydney-based artist and
research fellow.  His video and photographic
works have been widely shown in Europe as well as
Australia.  He has published on digital media and
he is Managing Editor of the Digital Arts Edition
series.   He is currently a Queen Elizabeth II
Fellow and Co-Director of the iCinema Centre for
Interactive Cinema Research at UNSW, as well as
Artist-in-Resident at ZKM, Centre for Art and
Media, Karlsruhe.

www.icinema.unsw.edu.au

--
Dr James Donald
Associate Dean (Education), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

Telephone	(02)9385 4858
Mobile		0433 126445
Facsimile		(02)9385 6812

International