[csaa-forum] wiki costs

Glen Fuller g.fuller at uws.edu.au
Tue May 9 16:07:38 CST 2006

hi list,

Just a quick note. I am after some figures for costs related to hosting
and maintaining a wiki.

It relates to a proposal I am putting to the CSAA Exec in my capacity
as postgrad rep to have a CSAA-hosted wiki on postgrad matters. There
are many things that need to be worked out (general nature of content
and even the title are two obvious issues), but for now I have some
basic wiki related questions that need answers relating to costs. With
some figures I can go to go to the exec so as to work on getting more
than in principle support. I think it is important to have the support
of the professional body for cultural studies for this sort of
initiative. Anyway, questions:

How much server space does a small-sized wiki need?

How much would this (approx) cost to host somewhere?

Other related costs that need to be covered by host?

Lastly, I am hoping to set up some sort of working group if the idea
does get approval from the exec, so all those postgrads and others that
are interested in participating in setting it up or eventually
participating by producing a wiki document please start thinking about
this now. From the range of responses I got to the call for feedback on
postgrad labour issues (last year) I know there are many of you out
there who are already interested in some of the issues relating to
postgrads in Australasian cultural studies.

Ciao,
Glen.

--
PhD Candidate